Re: Opt out? (was re. personal thoughts)

> Ed wrote
> "This discussion could get very broad very quickly, so let's keep it to the
> specific Moscow schools example."
>
> Brent's letter demonstrates why we can't reasonably do this.  Once you
> accept the rationale that taxpayers can opt out of paying for specific
> services/products they don't like, you open a Pandora's box.  If Ed gets to
> skip paying for public schools, why should I have to pay for something I
> don't like?
First, there is a fundamental difference between the schools and the street
lights. Doug Jones last post touched on this, and there are more discussions
somewhere in the archives.

Second, this is a good thought exercise. Suppose everybody pays their taxes as
they wish. Suppose everybody excercises their particular opinion - not just in
their head or with their mouth - but with their dollar. Scary, eh? That's the
ugliness of full-blown relativism.

<snip>

Cheers,
-Ed Evans