Is Moscow Growing Too Fast?

Visionaries;
     Should we be concerned regarding the growth of the city of Moscow?
Consider:

 1) In recent years we have taxed city residents to pay for a new pool that,
despite political promises, does not have the population size to support
self sustainability. We have taxed city residents to build a new fire
station on the north side of town that will serve current and expected
growth in the city and in the north end of the county.  We have taxed city
and some county residents to support a school district that is losing
students now and in all likelihood will continue to lose students for the
future.

2)  We have seen a city expand in area by 50% or from 4+ square miles to 6+
square miles.  City services have had to expand to reach the new city
boundaries and to reach the new (willing and unwilling) city residents.

3)  We have seen the city increase water rates, sewer rates, and local
property taxes to maintain services.  We have seen a simple pump failure
result in a total ban on outdoor watering.  We have seen a business
incubator park fail to develop new businesses and become the home of current
businesses instead.  We have housing construction and education as the only
source of economic expansion.

Is what is happening good??

I read recently a post that talked of "fixed income".  If we look at the
total package of tax increases, fee increases, and what we have had to
absorb in increasing utility charges, is the disposable income of city
residents really fixed or has it decreased?

John Danahy
jdanahy@turbonet.com

Back to TOC