Re: Rosemary on Race

Doug Jones wrote:

>When someone has a paradigm, especially a paradigm that divinizes
>Equality as an absolute, then brute simplicity tends to reign. Equality
>is about denying differences and distinctions, and devotees of Equality
>have a terrible time harmonizing anything that isn't explained by their
>yes-no absolute.

Mr. Jones, your theology is based on a list of absolute rules (you cannot
even dip your toe into that "universal acid of relativism" without being
totally dissolved) that logically demand you often apply strict yes-no
absolutes to ethical decisions.  Are your talking about the logical
difficulties of your own theological and ethical system, or Rosemary's
logical difficulties?  Or both?

You go on to state the difficulties of the yes-no absolute of devotees of
Equality, but misrepresent the definition and application of the idea of
Equality.  It seems you do run into the logical difficulties of absolutist
thinking, because you are flat out wrong when you declare, in absolutist
fashion without any qualifiers, that "Equality is about denying differences
and distinctions, ..."

Equal rights under the law frequently is NOT about "denying differences or
distinctions" but only asserts that people who are different, of different
sexes, or races or ethnicities or churches, or people who speak different
languages, have the same equal ACCESS to buses, bathrooms, drinking
fountains, soda counters, jobs, education, medical care, the voting booth,
etc.  In fact, in the last example the DIFFERENCES ARE ACKNOWLEDGED and
accommodated when translators are at polling places to enable people who do
not speak English, but a DIFFERENT language, have the same ACCESS to the
voting booth.  I could list other examples where differences are
acknowledged, not denied, in the application of EQUAL RIGHTS, but brevity is
staring over my shoulder.

It appears you express a lack of understanding of certain paradigms that you
disagree with, even as you imply, if I understand you correctly, that
Rosemary demonstrated a lack of understanding of your paradigm.

Ted