Death Penalty: Re: Eric E. vision 2020

Eric, and others

Thanks for the follow-up!  We may disagree, but I sense from you a kind of
sincerity and lack of duplicity that I find comforting, unlike some of the
other Christian's I have been trying to engage in honest debate with, who
really DO NOT address the points I make when we exchange ideas, past one or
two exchanges.

I am pretty sure you are the Eric I have known to be a musician in the
Moscow area.  If so, I also love music, and have proclaimed it my "Religion"
many times, though I mean this metaphorically, of course.
I find much of the spiritual music of Western civilization to be marvelous
and truly inspired, so my friends who find me listening to Hildegard von
Bingen (spelling?) are taken aback by the religious critic enthralled by the
music of a medieval nun.

Anyways, if you remember, I offered to present to you scholarly works by
Christian thinkers who are at polar opposites on the death penalty, both for
and completely against.  Remember?  This is my way of demonstrating the
seriousness of this disagreement within Christianity.

A clever enough mind can find arguments and facts to support just about any
position on anything, and make it sound reasonable.  Most people believe
what they do based on their upbringing and emotions and peer pressure, and
what makes them economically or politically successful (how many politicians
go to church to push up the polls?), etc.  Most want to believe their
choices are rational and freely chosen, at least here in the USA where
individuality and freedom is an image to live up to, even if to a great
extent this is an illusion.

To your latest assertion that a life sentence is execution, I believe you
have not surveyed the opinions of those serving life sentences to discover
if they agree with you.  There are many serving life sentences in prison who
know they will die in prison, but have still found life worth living, and
who are you to say the life they have found is equivalent to an execution?
What prompted you to make such an unfounded statement?  And given the
ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN errors that our justice system will make in determining
guilt, what would you say to the relatives of the people who spent years in
prison on death row only to be released when it was proven they were
innocent, if they had been executed, and then proved innocent.  This is such
an egregious wrong that to avoid the possibility it will ever happen is
enough by itself to ban the death penalty, though of course society will pay
a cost for this decision, as you indicate.  You forget perhaps that to
insure the fairness of the death penalty there are incredible costs to
society also, which must be balanced against the costs of life in prison.
But who made the decision that justice is just a matter of dollars and
cents?

Ted