Re: stuff

Doug wrote,

"I really wish that liberals would not play the race card in discussions of
capital punishment because it gives encouragement to racists out there who
want to argue from those same statistics that blacks, for example, are more
likely to be guilty of violent crime. Justice really needs to be color
blind, and we need to practice this in our debates. If we find it is not
color blind, then let us address that problem -- rather than tacitly
approving racist life-time incarcerations over against racist executions."

I'd like to raise a couple of points - ok, probably more than two-about this
paragraph.  First of all, I disagree with the use of the term "race card,"
in this discussion.  I'm used to seeing the term used to describe the
raising of racial issues in order to distort the real issues at hand, and
when used in that manner, it brings to an end any rational discussion.  I
don't think that pointing out the disproportionate use of the death penalty
against blacks is 'playing the race card'; it is simply pointing out a fact
that should be deeply troubling to all whether liberal, conservative, or
other.

I agree that we should examine our judicial system and try to address the
problems that lead to innocent people being convicted. And you're also right
that justice should be colorblind.  It's clearly not when it comes to the
imposition of the death penalty.  At the same time we cannot ignore the
problem of people convicted of similar crimes, in similar circumstances,
receiving different punishments.  You're right, a life sentence is no day at
the beach, but at least it leaves the possibility of being corrected, unlike
the death penalty once it's imposed. We can't examine this unless we raise
the issue, and I think conservatives should be as willing to raise it as
liberals.

If discussing the issue allows racists of any color to claim that blacks
commit more crimes, well, I don't think that should prevent anyone from
raising the point.  Racists will use this as eagerly as they use other
arguments. We can't remain silent because we're worried how they may
misrepresent facts.

Finally, I must disagree with your straw-man description of opponents of the
death penalty on racial grounds "tacitly approving racist life-time
incarcerations over against racist executions."  That's a remarkable
generalization, and an untrue one.  I certainly don't approve of racist life
sentences for any innocent person.

Mike Rush made a comment about requiring affirmative action being used to
get more white people on death row.  It's an argument I've seen before, and
I don't believe that it's what Garrett was getting at. I oppose the death
penalty, but I think if we're going to have it, it should be applied evenly.
  When people of one race are more likely to be executed than people of
other races, when they've committed the same crime, the penalty is not being
evenly applied.  People of all political persuasions ought to be able to
recognize that.

Sunil