Re: Topfree issue in Moscow, few words more

Wow! So much to reply to.  I'll try to keep this short.  It comes down to
what Lucy Zoe asked and Ken Shepherd stated.

All Lucy's questions deserve an answer.  Why are women still dealing with
men's abuse?  That is nauseating and a sorry sign of our lack of compassion.
  I encourage dialogue and action to fight this.

The ordinance is a trivial issue on the surface, but it symbolizes the way
we regard women.  It is a continuation of men's attempt to suppress women.
To keep them shameful and intimidated.  This is not about having topfree
women roaming around town.  This is about standing up to men's subjugation
of women.  This is about publicizing to the world that this sorry attitude
can be challenged and hopefully changed.

Lucy, this is exactly about changing the way men view women.  The "right to
go topless" means the right to be valued as an individual and not be subject
to men's dominion.

This is a big issue, Ken.  We are known internationally because of this.  We
have the opportunity to educate the public.  We have the opportunity to set
a precedent.  If people understand our message, that it is unacceptable to
continue men's domination over women, we feel like this work is worth it.

The language of this law is simple: A woman faces a $500 or 6 months in jail
for exposing her breasts in public view.  This means her private property,
including her home, if she is in public view.

This law is ridiculous and needs to be challenged.  It won't just "go away."
  Since our city council is unwilling to rewrite this law so it is more
acceptable, we have to waste our time collecting signatures and responding
to emails.  We have a limited time to do this, so we are exercising our
right to petition the government regarding our grievance now.  This is
democracy.

Ken may want women to have an allure over him by keeping their breasts
covered.  I'm sorry he found the pictures on this web site nauseating.  They
were real women, though.  Perhaps not the cut-outs he was hoping for.

Kacey, this is about equal rights.  As Tom says, the ability to choose
equally.  The notion that a man can be topfree while a women does not have
that option seems ridiculous.

All these arguments have not really given a reason why topfree women are
such a threat.  Particularly women on their private property, minding their
own business.

It would be so much easier to ignore this issue, to not talk about the role
men have given women.  However, I believe that societies can evolve and
overcome sexism, racism and our general lack of compassion towards our home.

Peace from Garrett