Re: Death penalty

Doug,

You wrote, "Everyone who opposes the death penalty for murder after a first
conviction is in principle supporting the death penalty for this murderer's
future victims."

This could only be true in a zero-sum world in which the only choices are
the imposition of the death penalty or no punishment at all. I know there
are more choices than these two, and I disagree with the idea that opponents
of state-sanctioned killing of this sort support future murders.

I also have to quarrel with your use of the term 'death penalty.' I
understand that you use it to describe all situations in which lethal force
is used, but it seems to me that it should be used to describe the sentence
handed out by a jury or judge, after a conviction or guilty plea; but then,
I'm an attorney. I do agree that many people would agree with the use of
lethal force in certain situations, but heck, I'm also a confessed
relatavist.

Sunil