Re: Large Classes in UI's basic writing course

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Dale Courtney wrote:

> Tom, just what would a course be numbered if it were a "refresher" (since the courses don't go below 100 -- or do they?)?

Unless things have changed since I attended UI, there were many core
classes offered below the 100 level.  Math 050, Chem 050, English, etc...
These were required courses for people who had borderline high school
grades and/or scored poorly on SAT/ACT.  No credits were awarded for
successful completion of the courses.

I would like to make one general observation regarding the debate on this
topic.  The concept of "high school level" courses has been referred to
several times.  Since when do all high schools provide the same levels of
education?  They don't.  Even within most individual high schools,
"honors/advanced/etc" courses are offered.  Obviously everyone is not
going to be at exactly the same level upon enterring college.  That does
not mean they don't have the intelligence/ability required to do well in
their chosen field of study.

just some thoughts,
Clint

Back to TOC