Re: Every Ethical System Subject to Relativist Problems

Visionaries:

There are some who have exaggerated and misstated what I said about human
feelings and common sense ethics.  Let me explain in some detail what I mean
about human feelings in the context of this debate on ethics and relativism
vs absolutism, and expand more on why I think relativism effects all ethical
systems.

To start with the latter issue first,
I clearly stated that I am aware of the difficulties in proving ultimate
right and wrong in ANY ETHICAL SYSTEM!  You have similar logical problems
(relativism among them) with proving your ethical system is absolute and
true as anyone does, no matter what they claim is the source of their
ethical system, be it the Bible, the US Constitution, or guidelines based on
human feelings.  Let me explain.

Consider the issue of the death penalty.  There is major disagreement within
the range of views expressed by Christians on this issue.  Some Christians
are nearly pacifists in applying the teachings of Christ and the Commandment
"Thou Shall Not Kill" to the death penalty!  They ABSOLUTELY regard it as
wrong.  Other Christians support the death penalty and will quote other
principles of ethics from the Christian tradition to support the death
penalty.  They ABSOLUTELY regard it as right.  WHAT IS YOUR STANDARD?  Prove
to me that you have the ultimate answer to the quandary Christians find
themselves in regarding the death penalty, and why YOUR STANDARD SHOULD BE
BINDING?  If you pick the wrong ethical action and it is against God's will
your standard will be false and is not therefore not binding, according to
your assumptions.

These are some questions asked by some in this debate to stymie the
"relativists," but ironically they apply just as well to those asking the
questions.  This same relativistic problem exists among Christians on
homosexuality.  You can find Christian churches that do not condemn
homosexuals as sinners.  They have one interpretation of Christian ethics.
You know with what fervor other Christians condemn homosexuality as a major
sin.  Again we have a relativistic debate WITHIN CHRISTIANITY ITSELF.  Why
should I believe that one side or the other has the ultimate answer on this
issue of homosexuality?  WHAT IS YOUR STANDARD AND WHY SHOULD IT BE BINDING
ON ME?

And of course there is the problem of proving one Religion to be more true
and absolute than another.  Usually the claim is made that what makes one
religion absolute and another not is the theory of "revelation."  God's word
is revealed truly to the true prophet or representative of God, and falsely
to the false prophet.  This is how religious absolutists "PROVE" there is no
ethical relativism in their system.

How do you prove who is or is not a true divine revealer of God's word?
WHAT IS YOUR STANDARD?  You are using circular logic when you use
Christianities principles and beliefs to prove itself absolute.  Muhammad
was a false prophet?  How can you prove this? If I am a believer in Muhammad
as a divine prophet, why should your standard that the religion Islam based
on his teachings is false be BINDING ON ANYONE?  Can you prove that Muhammad
was not divinely inspired?  You can put two scholars of Religion from Islam
and Christianity in a room and the debate on the divine revelation of the
Koran vs the Bible etc. will rage on and on.  Belief in the "proof" provided
will certainly be dependent on previous decisions of faith!  Doug W. did not
respond to this problem in his reply to my vision2020 posts on these issues.

Now regarding the "common sense ethics" issue,
what is the problem with pointing out that for the vast majority of people
friendship and love are preferable to killing and hatred?  Do you think this
is a false statement?  This statement given as a basis for "common sense
ethics" is not as "provincial," as Doug W. suggests.  In cultures all over
the world representing many religions there are laws against murder.  Are
you against letting people determine their own ethical standards at the
ballot box rather than from some imposed "overarching authority?"  Are you
afraid that if we determined laws to govern society by the vote, that people
would vote for killing, rape, lying, stealing, fraud and general mayhem as a
good basis for society?  I think perhaps you have a lack of faith in the
good sense of average people.  Not a comforting point of view for someone
living in a Democracy.  The fact that there are mass murderers in the world
does not prove that common sense ethics are totally worthless, as Doug W.
suggests, anymore than witch burning and the Inquisition proves that
Christian based ethics are worthless.

No one is determining that MY common sense ethic is the one everyone should
follow.  I did not write a single law currently on the books in the USA.
But you can be assured that some of the laws on the books were written by
the "common sense ethics" of some legislator or judge somewhere!  You must
admit this is true in some cases!  In reality right now for both of us what
is determining the laws we live by is a complex web of religious and
governmental traditions, the US Constitution and amendments etc., court,
legislative and executive decisions, and law enforcement actions, many of
which are contradictory and controversial.  Most people find some laws to be
against their values.  Welcome to the real world of democracy where
compromise and disagreement both work hand in hand to attempt to come up
with a system that tries to make the most people happy but ends up not
completely pleasing anyone.  This system has taken human beings thousands of
years to develop, and many people think it is the best approach to
organizing society, with all the conflicts and disagreements among human
beings that are unavoidable.

The claim that there is an absolute ethical standard that is without
contradiction or cases involving relative issues is a grand dream which as
far as I can see is just that: A DREAM, NOT REALITY.

But back to human feelings.....  As a matter of fact, I am completely
correct in my statement about human feelings being the basis for many human
actions, not some "overarching authority!"  There are people who will help
others (for example, pull them out of a burning house, or jump in a river to
save someone drowning) in moments of need who are not compelled to do so in
their own minds by any law or ethical rule or fear of consequences in this
life or any other you care to imagine.  Why do they do this?  Because of
human feelings of empathy and compassion!  They don't sit back and calculate
how their actions are compelled by some ultimate overarching ethical
authority.  They act directly and quickly based on a feeling to help.  These
cases are well documented.  Does this mean you can build an ethical system
dealing with all cases on just people responding to their feelings at the
moment?  Of course not!  It is clear that there are cases, no matter what
your ethical principles, when the right ethical choice will mean going
against the impulses of emotion or feeling.

Ted