Referendum Petitions

Title: Message

I thought I'd look through the existing Moscow City Code on the website to see what previous "rule makers" voted into existence.  I came across a few items I thought were really interesting. In all honesty, I'm surprised the people of Moscow haven't spoken up about these issues. I listed the ordinance sections below.

Did you know it's okay for an animal to "poop" in public view as long as the owner quickly "remedies" the situation. I'm guessing that means pick it up and dispose of it properly. However, if a human "poops" in public there's no provision that "remedies" the situation. Does that seem fair to you? Really, why isn't it okay for us to "poop" on the street in Moscow? Shouldn't we just be able to clean it up and move on? Doesn't this ordinance seem to limit human rights? Doesn't that bother anyone?

Then I noticed that you can't spit on the sidewalk. Who's enforcing that law? Do we really expect police officers to walk the streets looking for spitters? ( or is it spatters?)  So if police aren't enforcing the rule, and I suspect a few of them are spitters too, why did anyone ever allow that ordinance to pass?

My real complaint is that kids aren't allow to play catch in the streets. Can you believe that? I suppose there are those that think the ordinance is really there to protect the kids. Isn't that like saying they're *asking* to be hit if they play in the street? And what about newspaper delivery *persons*? Isn't that tossing an object to and fro? Is newspaper delivery legal if the paper is tossed from the street?

It seems that modesty...oh...I mean the message sent about women's bodies being shameful and meant to be hidden...is the least of our problems.

Lucy Zoe

Sec. 5-12. Nuisance by Animals.

A. It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any owner, keeper, controller or harborer of any animal to allow or let his or her animal to discharge such animal's solid excrement upon public property or private property other than the property of the owner, keeper, controller or harborer. However if such owner, keeper, controller or harborer does immediately thereafter remove and clean up such animal's solid excrement from the property, the nuisance shall be deemed remedied.

Sec. 1-10. Urinate.

It shall be unlawful for any person to urinate or defecate in any place open to public view.

Sec. 1-3. Expectorating on Sidewalk or in Public Buildings.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to expectorate or spit upon any of the sidewalks or upon any theater, public building, church or room used for public assemblies.

B. Any person violating the provisions of this Section shall be deemed guilty of an infraction and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished pursuant to this Code and the Idaho code unless otherwise specifically provided for in this Chapter.

Sec. 1-11. Playing in Streets Prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to play ball, catch, or other game, or throw any ball or other object to and fro upon any public thoroughfare in the City.

Back to TOC