Law Upholds Women's Right To Be Topless In New York: Re: Public Nudity

Everyone:

Actually, the laws vary on the issue of female toplessness.  The law in New
York state was changed in recent years due in part to topless protests
staged by topless women.  It is legal for women to go topless in New York
anywhere men may do so following a 1992 ruling by the state court of
appeals.  This info was posed on vision2020 by Mike Finkbiner on July 19.  I
also had read about this story years ago.  Here is the link Mike Finkbiner
posted on vision2020:

http://ithacajournal.com/news/stories/20020719/localregional/254186.html

I do not know the legal reasoning behind this decision, but apparently the
Moscow Daily News (I resisted the almost overwhelming impulse to call this
paper the nickname it has earned), expressing the bias on this topless issue
that I have perceived in its pages, chose to ignore the fact that the courts
in the second most populous state in the USA ruled to allow females going
topless, unless I missed something in the Daily News article.

The chances of changing the Moscow ordinance outlawing female toplessness
via the civil disobedience of women going topless and being arrested seems
slim to impossible, though the local magistrate, I guess, can chose to not
enforce a law he deems too vague or unenforceable, which I assume is still a
possibility with this new ordinance.  Has any female been charged under the
new ordinance yet?

There are many unreasonable laws and bad court decisions on the books, and
every day of the week somewhere someone is challenging the existing body of
law based on THEIR interpretation of the constitution,
about which as we all know there is fantastic disagreement. It really makes
no difference to me what the courts have said about the female topless issue
except insofar as it is educational to see what reasoning they used.  I
firmly believe a women should be able to go topless in public places, though
reasonable regulations can be applied.
And being a lucky male, I am exempt from arrest on this issue.  But where
are the women who are going to blame me for inflaming them into an
adulterous frenzy by the sight of my naked chest that will start screaming
that we also ban topless men!!  I would like to see a battle in court over
this one!  With a totally female judiciary ruling on the issue.

Ted