Re: Objective Standards: Re: Ban Display of Lips and Tongues on Females

"Your analysis on what consitutes erotic body parts for most folks, and your
conclusion of what we should or should not do about covering them, is a fine
example of a relativistic cultural norm. Is this the objective standard we
should apply? The personal opinion of a particular fellow in Moscow Idaho,
on a rainy July Friday, in the year 2002?"

Yes.  Or would you prefer to apply Old Testament law, all of it, to all of
us?  I don't want that, and won't vote for anyone who intends to do so.
Others are welcome to vote for those candidates, of course; I just ask that
candidates make their intent clear to all of us.

I continue to be very disturbed by comments from members of the Council that
they expect the police to use common sense in the application of the law.
If there are portions of the law they do not wish to have applied -  and it
sure looks to me that naked three year old children will be in violation -
they shouldn't have included them in the legislation. They have passed a law
that has jail as a punishment, and then they say we don't expect all of it
to be applied? That's unacceptable.

Don't pass a law and then say, "Whoops, don't pay attention to that part."
Instead, say what you mean and make that the law.

Sunil