Re: Erotic retardation III

Doug writes:
>All regimes are fundamentalist. The only thing that distinguishes them is
the nature >of their fundament. Prudent legislation has spared us all from
discovering the real >nature of Moscow's fundamentalism.

There's a Swiftian joke to be made here about fundaments, but I'm not the
woman to make it.

All regimes have fundamental philosophical principles upon which their
decisions may be based.  Not all regimes are fundamentalist (by which I mean
specifically those which claim to be literal in their application of a sacred
religious text to all aspects of civic life.)

>But a robust cultural Trinitarianism necessitates equality between the sexes
as well >as a distinction between them. And what fun it is!

So you keep telling us--and I think it's grand that you're having a good
time.  I note in passing that other fun is possible.  An equally robust
cultural expression of sound Trinitarianism, to which I lay claim, is that
each person is unique, not simply a member of a two-party gender system.
Such a view does not require that all persons with ovaries share certain
lacks and needs which can be fulfilled only by the leadership of a person
with testicles, or that all the world is intended to go two by two like a
salt-and-pepper shaker collection.  It also takes into account the many ways
in which physiological, endocrinological, and chromosomal sex are determined
in people, not to mention all their variations in gender.  And it leaves
plenty of room for "traditional" families like mine--two parents, two kids,
grandparents, and pets under one roof--as well as more modern family styles
like a mom, a dad, and some kids in a house all by themselves.

>So keep your shirts on -- so that men who want to be faithful in mind and
heart to >their own wives, and who want to treat other women they meet during
the day with >all dignity and respect, are not forced to duck down alleys or
climb trees. This is not >a difficult concept, people.

Tricky!  If men are unfaithful, it's because women made them be.  If men
treat women disrespectfully, it's because other, bad women made them act that
way.  Why, no matter what a man does, it's a woman's fault.  You're right,
it's a pretty easy concept:  blame the woman.

By your account, the Moscow City Council has enacted an ordinance to protect
men from having sexual thoughts, and to protect "good" women from suffering
the consequences of being around men enflamed by "bad" women's breasts.

Pardon me if I wonder whether much success is possible in such an
enterprise.

Melynda Huskey

Back to TOC