Re: City Council on Public Nudity

Pam:

Speaking as someone who has spent almost 9 years living in places like
Europe, Japan and the Pacific Rim, I have often been amused, bemused and
embarrassed by most Americans' incredible self-conscious  antipathy to
the human body and its public display.

We Americans look like bumpkin country jakes to most of the civilized
world because of our antiquated blue laws and our Puritan distaste for
the public display what is supposed to be the acme of God's handiwork.
I have followed with bemusement the hooraw over the topless car wash and
its byplay on Vision 2020 and in the local newspaper.  And then the City
Council, falling into an unpurposely laid trap, actually passed its
anti-breast ordinance, which I am told is more stringent than Idaho
Falls' and Pocatello's!  What a joke.

Has the Council ever considered the concept of "benevolent neglect"?
Left  alone, even with the "worst" of intentions (Although I salute them
for figuring out an innovative way to make the rent payment in lean
financial times.), the ladies operating the topless car wash would have
packed it in when cold weather hit and the issue would have receded into
obscurity.  Now the Council, in its infinite shortsightedness, has
created a "cause celebe" for the liberal (and, I suspect, also the
common-sense element of both political persuasions...) of Moscow's
population.  Just wait until the college population returns and gets
wind of this fiasco.  We have been parodied in the regional and the
national press.  So much for the laid-back ambience of a university
town.  Break out the blue stockings.

And now, questioned about the ordnance making bikini tops illegal
apparel, the Council simply states that the local police will not arrest
women and girls wearing bikini tops, regardless of the wording of the
new law.  Yippee skippy---yet another local law left unenforced at
police discretion.  Concerned about the long-term ill effects of teenage
smoking, I once asked the local constables why they didn't enforce
underage smoking laws.  The reply was that they chose not to because
they had more important things to do, and it was a "too-hard".  I
pointed out to them that the Legislature and local government bodies got
to pass laws which the law enforcement authorities swore an oath to
uphold, and that if the solons wanted the law unenforced, they would
rescind it.  I got a blank stare.

As someone who has taught U.S. Government, and has tried to inculcate a
respect for law, and tried to explain the validity of the body politic
passing curtailments of individual liberties for the public good as part
of the social contract, I would be hard put to it to explain this latest
fiasco.

Who is injured by a topless car wash?  Juvenile boys?  Most of them
don't have cars, and those that do generally wash them themselves.  If
they want to look at wet, comely, maidens in very scanty apparel, they
have but to pony up the $4.50 to hit the local swimming hole, which is
cheaper than the car wash, and you can also use the water slide.  Have
you looked at the internet lately?  Pruriency abounds.  And how does the
local City Council presume to rule on the simple display of the upper
portion of the female human body being lewd or obscene?

This has gone from amusing to pathetic.

Regards,

Don Kaag

Back to TOC