Re: What we really need are laws against erotic retardation

Consistency, I've heard, is the hobgoblin of small minds.  But in this case,
I'll readily admit that the small mind is mine.  I want consistency in my
laws, and in their enforcement.

I also note that the emphasis on eroticism is yours; the rest of us appear
confident that the mere contemplation of the human chest in nakedness will
not cause the collapse of our city into riotous sexual excess.  In fact, all
over Europe, men, women, and children of all ages appear topless, and even
bottomless, at the beach without lasting trauma.  In Japan, public baths are
co-ed, and the sun continues to rise over Nippon.  Of course, those nations
which most closely regulate the public garb of women appear also to be those
which most severely limit their civil rights.

And, as a matter of public information, the Supreme Court has found that
same-sex sexual harassment is indeed actionable, so that men's chests are as
inviolable as women's when it comes to unwanting touching in the workplace.
(U.S. Supreme Court Case No. 96—568, Joseph Oncale, petitioner, v. Sundowner
Offshore Services, Inc., et al.)

Let's all keep our hands to ourselves, shall we?

Melynda Huskey

Back to TOC