Re: The Partial Boob Ban

Sean says,
> I, personally, applaud those willing to take the flack for enforcing AND
creating >laws/ordinances that make our community a place people will be
proud to live in >and comfortable with raising the next generation in.

Speaking as a parent, I don't find that this kind of governmental action
makes my community safer or me prouder.  On the contrary, it suggests a
willingness on the part of elected officials to enforce their own narrow
views (whether religiously or politically motivated) on the community in a
way which may well endanger me.  After all, some devout Muslims find women's
hair as salacious as some devout Protestants apparently find women's breasts:
 I'm not prepared to wear a headscarf out of deference to their beliefs, and
I'm quite sure my shirts should be not be chosen to satisfy Moscow's Morality
Police.  And what comes next?

If we don't want topless *businesses* in Moscow, and we can provide solid,
rational reasons why not, then write a sexually-oriented business policy.
Alter zoning laws to provide reasonable protections to the community, if
you're sure harm will follow.  But why seize the opportunity to enact a
discriminatory and universal policy--one which apparently even the City
Council recognizes will be arbitrarily enforced--which is binding on all
women unless it's not the businesses but the women you're after?

And if you want to cover all or any part of yourself, go right ahead.  I'm an
All-Shirts Party person myself.  No more beer bellies paraded in public.

Melynda Huskey

Back to TOC