Re: Who are the Boobs?

Even if 100% of the Council had promised this ordinance was going to save
Western Civilization, make Moscow the New Jerusalem, and reconcile Israel and
its Arab neighbors, it would still be a foolish and discriminatory one.  And
that would be why I'm so hard on it.

My breasts aren't nearly the threat to a healthy community that
discrimination against women is.  Or economic disaster at the University of
Idaho, or a poor immunization rate for infants, or hunger and homelessness in
Moscow, or ever-shrinking access to affordable medical care.

No woman in our fair city has the Breasts of Doom That Will End Life As We
Know It.  There is no Butt Crack Plague cutting off our citizens in their
prime.  But there are sick kids who can't get to the doctor or dentist in
this town because their Medicare isn't accepted, families without money to
buy food, parents who can't legally be advised that their children are
eligible for state health insurance/CHIP, elderly and indigent people who
must see a "Self-Reliance Counselor" and produce a "Self-Reliance Plan" to
receive their prescription benefits, widespread discrimination in
employment and access against people with disabilities.

A few of my early co-religionists, the Quakers, were arrested in a northern
English town for walking up and down the main street partially clothed in
sackcloth and ashes, shouting, "Woe to the bloody city of Lichfield."  I know
just how they felt.

Melynda Huskey

Back to TOC