RE: Alturas Technology Park

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your posting. I would like to point out a rather large
misconception about Alturas. You wrote:

"  The tax money (which I agree may not ever have been produced if
Alturas wasn't built) stays in the Bennetts' financial front yard instead of
drifting to the west side of Moscow, or the schools in general or the fire
department or the police."

I'm sorry, but this is not at all the case. Contrary to what has been posted
on this forum, school districts are partially exempt from the tax increment
financing, i.e. they continue to receive tax payments. This was designed
into the original agreement. This means that when the State funding for the
Moscow schools this year resulted in a shortfall, it was the companies in
Alturas and this tax district that help make up the difference. Are you
looking for the benefit for every property owner in Moscow?  That levy was
reduced due to the fact that Alturas exists.

I realize that many people have their children in alternative schools or do
not have young children in school at all. But as a parent who supports the
public schools and is willing to invest in their future, I proud to provide
support to Moscow School District with both my vote on the levy AND the
property taxes of my business.

Thanks

Bil Strand

Back to TOC