Re: Alturas Technology Park

  Everyone, at the risk of being labeled an interloper, like the other
gregarious Greg (last name Brown) I believe the point some folks are
attempting to make about Alturas is not that diversifying the economy is bad,

not that fostering home-grown technological talent is wrong, not that paving
over a wheat field to build offices is offensive in every instance, it is
that if a community deems to expand its economic base using such a, how shall

I say, creative taxing scheme, it is incumbent on that community to keep a
close eye on how that expansion proceeds and how the people's money is spent.

  While Mr. Thompson, who when I used to follow this story still owned the
wheat field surrounding Alturas and the land below, believes he did a grand
thing for his neighbors by backing this development, it sure seems to follow
that he benefits financially when businesses locate there.
  He also, I believe, owns the land below Tidyman's. Doesn't he profit by
continued development in this area, as opposed to, let's just say for
example, real urban renewal in downtown Moscow?
  Furthermore, do not the Bennetts benefit, like Mr. Thompson, by this taxing

scheme, which reserves piles of public money to prop up and beautify the east

side of Moscow, thereby creating additional consumer traffic at Eastside
Marketplace? The tax money (which I agree may not ever have been produced if
Alturas wasn't built) stays in the Bennetts' financial front yard instead of
drifting to the west side of Moscow, or the schools in general or the fire
department or the police.
  Again, this is not to say that all these things are bad, it's just a
question of priorities. When Moscow decided to go the way of urban renewal
and twisted a statute that other Idaho communities had used to fix up their
deteriorating inner cores, they designated as "blighted" a wheat field.
Great, more power to them, the decision probably produced great and lasting
benefits.
  But there was a choice. Moscow's leaders did not choose to declare as
"blighted" other areas around town that are truly recessed so that public
money could be dedicated to fixing the lot of some less-well off individuals.

Of course, the people who live in Moscow's truly blighted or run down areas
aren't named Thompson and Bennett — who I have no reason to dislike. In fact,

from what I knew of Eugene Thompson, he is a honorable man. I've liked some
of the Bennetts I've met over the years. Why shouldn't they enjoy the fruits
of their labors?
  The questions, for Moscow, really should be: Is the increased income and
productivity at Alturas really trickling down to the huddled masses? Should
it?
Are the people at Alturas buying books from Bob Greene? Are they eating
downtown
or are they eating at the mall or Wingers?
  How about this: Should Moscow designate other "blighted" areas around town
where people
of less means have lived modestly for decades despite the fact that there are

no sidewalks or proper paved roads — like there are at Alturas — so that tax
increment financing might benefit the needy more directly?
  Just a thought or two.

    cheers, from Greg Burton, a once and former resident and still caring
member of Moscow's extended community.
begin:vcard
n:Burton;Greg
tel;cell:(801) 918-8097
tel;fax:(801) 257-8525
tel;work:(801) 257-8789
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.sltrib.com
org:The Salt Lake Tribune;Environment & Adventure Desk
adr:;;143 S. Main Street;Salt Lake City;Utah;84111;United States
version:2.1
email;internet:gburton@sltrib.com
title:News Editor
x-mozilla-cpt:;3