RE: Alturas

Bill,

Again, I fail to see understand the point you keep trying to make about
subsidized businesses. First of all, the businesses in Alturas pay the same
taxes as everybody else in Moscow. Essentially the URA borrowed the money
(approximately $600,000 if my memory serves me correctly) to put in the
infrastructure. The tenants' taxes go to pay off that infrastructure. In
addition, any incremental property taxes for the surrounding area also go to
pay off the infrastructure. In other words, as Eastside Marketplace value
has increased, that increased property tax goes to pay off the bond. But the
amount they were paying BEFORE Alturas continues to go to the city. When the
bond is completely paid off, the taxes then go into the general coffers. And
Moscow has infrastructure they would not have had otherwise. There are
others that are more knowledgeable as to the financing than I, so someone
correct me if I have this wrong.

Have your taxes gone up or down because of Alturas? There is 2 - 3 million
dollars of payroll here that wouldn't be here without Alturas (and I speak
with absolute certainty with that statement). Those people have houses here
in Moscow and pay property taxes. They support local businesses as well as
the school system. So where are your numbers Bill? Show us how our taxes
have increased because of Alturas. But be certain to include ALL the
factors, not just pick and choose the negative ones.

And where is the subsidy? Can Park Place Plaza offer cheaper space to
companies because of this? I don't see how considering every business out
here pays full rates for every foot of land and every gallon of water.
Pacific Simulation could certainly have found cheaper space in Moscow. But
we could not have found better. If I company decides to move to Alturas, it
is NOT because we get a price break for doing it.

I would be genuinely interested in hearing a plan that addresses the
requirements of the community as you see them. And I am not referring to
50,000 foot generalities or sideline complaints about the people that are
actually doing the work. I'm talking about a real plan that addresses the
issues of technical businesses that are presently in Moscow/Pullman.
Everybody seems to describe business development in nice abstract terms.
Nobody seems to want to talk about the actual companies it affects and the
individuals it involves. I don't always agree with the tactics that are used
to accomplish the goals of economic development in Moscow, but tactics are
often required when proposed strategies are not implemented, fail or are
just plain unreasonable.

B.C. Strand
Technical Operations Manager

Invensys Performance Solutions