From: Cindy Miller
To: Dan Carscallen ; Vision2020 ; Bob Hoffmann
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 8:45 AM
Subject: Re: US95 South

Thank you for the intelligent discussion; I have a few comments, being a resident on Paradise Ridge;

1.  Not true that "most of the animal life has been pushed that direction by residences on Paradise Ridge."  We owned our parcel here approx. 3 years before building, and the herds of elk & deer continually migrate up and down the ridge, east to west, and vice versa;  more so in the winter.  "Wildlife habitat" doesn't connote "endangered."  I've only lived in the area for a little over 10 years, and I've heard of the Palouse Prairie.  Seeing the view from the ridge, it is easy to see that the Palouse is a prairie.

2.  Whether the Highway District absorbs the old 95 route or not, Reisenauer Hill is ALREADY an albatross.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the stretch of road from Moscow to Genesee to be one of the most, if not THE most, dangerous/deadly sections of highway in Idaho.  That was supposed to be the issue causing a search for an alternative in the first place.

3.  I don't know the techinal term for the fog we experience on the Ridge, but anyone living in Moscow can see the Ridge covered in fog many times every winter.  It's no joke, and running a high speed highway through it will cause problems, not unlike the problems faced with Reisenauer Hill (collisions, fatalities, and the like.)

4.  The USDA/Ed Haagen out of the Moscow office prepared the analysis regarding lost cropland, and proposed 10A absorbs a lot more productive cropland (not CRP) than other proposed routes.

5.  If Paradise Ridge is a "game preserve" then those of us living on the Ridge aren't "driving the wildlife into areas where Route 10A will be located."  We, as private property owners, can choose not to allow hunting up here.  No one else has the ability to tell us we have to allow hunting.  Game migration is only going to contribute to collisions and fatalities on the new proposed route 10A.  The assessment already completed on the project acknowledges that.

6.  If I'm understanding your comments correctly, just because trees weren't there when Moscow was settled means it's o.k. to go in and cut them all down?  Moscow is a Tree City, USA, and it seems to me Moscow residents have always prided themselves on that point.  Let's cut down all the trees in downtown Moscow and put in a parking lot.

7.  And, while we're at it, let's shoot all the birds.  I don't see the benefit of expecting birds to take up residence in K-Mart signs.

8.  It's interesting that, given the original reason for looking for a new route for the highway, that the old 95 from Eid Road to Moscow will remain open, and from the sound of it, open to anyone wishing to use it.  So, why are we looking at a new route?

9.  Compensation for seizure under imminent domain isn't necessarily what you might think it is.  Depending on the formula and calculations, those displaced homeowners may or may not be able to relocate and be left whole.

10-11.  To heck with the wetlands; let's fill them in with cement to match the parking lot downtown.  And what about the people?  Are we all resilient enough to endure more collisions and fatalities along a misplaced new 95?

12.  It is true that concerns aren't proof; the reason for the impact study was to hopefully consider all the potential difficulties with each proposed route; that focus has been lost in all the misguided comments.  Water quality?  Who cares.  There has been a suggestion that the leveling and deep digging required for the 10A route may cut into the groundwater reservoir; who cares?  But, that's just a concern, we won't have proof until it's done.

13.  Noise is noise, depending on where you are in relation to the noise.  The current highway is noisy for all those residents who chose to build along the highway.  When we moved up to the Ridge, we were choosing not to be close to the highway, and to get away from the noise of the city and highways.

My point in all this is that there are no easy, clear answers, and any decision will impact all of us, either positively or negatively.  No one is RIGHT or WRONG here.  From my perspective, what is most upsetting is that the Department of Transportation seemed to have its mind made up long before it came in and announced "proposed routes."  That was only done to appease the little people who live here.

Cindy Miller