Wilson's Kid on Government Schools

    After a couple of year stint on the East coast, this last year back
in Moscow has been good fun. There have been sandwich boards to make,
Beauchamps to write in for school board, and a regular old dust-up on
vision2020 apparently caused by my dad, among others. Throughout the
scuffle about modernity and government schools there seemed to be a
common assumption that schools such as Logos are the elitist, spendy
operations and the government schools are the schools of the people, the
cheap schools, the schools of our unfortunate future.
    Nobody seems to contest the fact that Logos provides a better (if
Christian) education. But the problem is that the MSD spends about twice
as much per student as the elitist Logos. While a Logos education runs
at roughly four grand per (with deals on multiple kids), the local
government ed costs eight grand per student. Can any one tell me why
this is? People have been upset at the assertion that the local SD
provides an inferior product, (at least when compared to local private
ed) but they haven't denied it. So why does the inferior government deal
cost twice as much?

Nate Wilson

Back to TOC