Re: Fed. Judge Declares "Pledge of Allegiance" Unconstitutional

Dear John and Visionaries,

Thank you, John, for putting the link in your posting so that we could read
the opinion right away.

Initial press reports suggested that the entire pledge of allegiance was
unconstitutional (NOT!). It was the addition of "under God" by Congress in
1954. This reminds me why we should go to the source and review and decide
for ourselves.

It's interesting that this is actually a rather narrow opinion, using
established Supreme Court jurisprudence on church/state separation. The
Establishment Clause of the First Amendment is always a contentious area
where good people can have a rousingly good argument about where that line
should be drawn. (currency, okay? Schools, no? Prayer in the Senate and the
House [they need it]? whose prayer? Vouchers okay (yes, says a 5-4 majority
on the Supreme Court)? etc., etc.)

I would suggest that the core of the opinion appears on pages 9122-1927 of
the opinion (18-23 on my PDF version). I was interested to see that the real
issue was the 1954 amendment that added "under God" and the rationale given
at the time by President Eisenhower and members of Congress for the
addition.

Being a little tyke who had just learned the other version, the new words
were a real speed bump. I still have to think deliberately about the pledge
when I say it or lead it because those little tyke memories got hard wired.
I suppose that's actually a really good thing because when I say
"indivisible, with liberty and justice for all" you can bet the family
fortune that I REALLY mean it... justice for ALL!

Take a look and see where you come out.

All the best,
Linda