RE: Fed. Judge Declares "Pledge of Allegiance" Unconstitutional

Linda Pall wrote:

> I would suggest that the core of the opinion appears on pages
> 9122-1927 of the opinion (18-23 on my PDF version). I was
> interested to see that the real issue was the 1954 amendment
> that added "under God" and the rationale given at the time by
> President Eisenhower and members of Congress for the addition.

In June of 1954 an amendment was made to add the words "under God".

Here was Eisenhower's reasons for adding it: Eisenhower said "In this
way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's
heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those
spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful
resource in peace and war."

Dale

Back to TOC