RE: Checkers-Backgammon Etiquette

Doug Jones wrote:

“May I make a plea that we step back from the discussion for just a second and watch what is happening? Talking to people across paradigms is a very tricky business, and I don’t think anyone on this list to date, including myself, is really any good at it.”

Personally, I keep hoping that people would step back from this entire discussion. After so many reminders from this forum in recent weeks on what constitutes morality, I wanted to remind myself of what is/was the purpose of this forum. I copied this from the Vision 2020 web page:

Moscow Vision 2020 is an informal, multi-partisan group of Moscow residents formed in 1993 to encourage more public information and debate about the future of Moscow and Latah County. Specifically, its goals are:

  1. To ensure that all parts of our community have an opportunity to take part in visualizing and planning for the community's future.
  2. To strengthen citizens' sense of community by promoting awareness, ownership and investment in Moscow's future.
  3. To foster cooperation among (and public involvement with) the agencies and organizations that plan for and make decisions about the future of Moscow and Latah County.
  4. To raise awareness on the part of citizens and public officials that:
  5. uncontrolled and unplanned growth may have negative effects.
  6. short-term decisions have long-term consequences.
  7. To inform ourselves about growth and development issues.
  8. To have fun thinking critically and creatively.

OUR ACTIVITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:

  1. Promoting community dialogue on planning and growth issues through such diverse channels of communication as a discussion list on the Internet.
  2. Increasing knowledge of community-based planning techniques through study groups, workshops and guest speakers.
  3. Providing technical expertise and volunteer assistance to community groups and local agencies interested in applying community-based planning, such as the Latah County Planning and Zoning Commissions and the Shared Facilities Task Force.
  4. Involving the community, especially young people, in planning through such activities as tours, contests, simulation games and exhibits.
  5. Recruiting volunteers to monitor and report on meetings of public agencies as a way of increasing public knowledge of the decision-making process.

I guess this could be considered “To have fun thinking critically and creatively” but I haven’t seen a lot of “fun” going on here - just a lot of labels and mud slinging. I am not what anyone would consider an active member of this forum. I subscribed to this forum because, as I travel as a part of my work, this forum keeps me up to date as to issues that may not make the front page of the Daily News. But these days I can’t seem to find the wheat for all the chaff.

So am I alone in my thinking here? If this is just my own personal preference, I’ll be happy to go elsewhere for to find my information and discussion regarding growth in Moscow and Latah County. However, if others feel the way that I do, then what is the role of this forum and how do we fulfill it?

B.C. Strand

Technical Operations Manager

Invensys Performance Solutions

Pacific Simulation