Other voices

Pardon me if this posting doesn't work, but this is my first time after
watching from the sidelines for some time.  I used to live in Moscow and
I'm keenly interested in the vision for the city since I may move back.
This forum seems to be an ideal place to discuss what that vision might
look like.  I find, instead, lively discussions of several topics (e.g.,
school, gays, etc.) from many points of view.  Much of it, however, is
of this "checkers vs. backgammon" variety that we've just heard about.
What I don't hear is any attempt to turn any of this into a collective
"vision", and it comes across as a bit of a war of words.

I've participated in organizations trying to come up with a collective
vision from multiple points of view (e.g., developing standards for
sustainable forestry), so I know it can be done.  It is hard, though,
and it takes a lot of patience and listening.  I wonder, then, if we
need to take a collective deep breath and remind ourselves of what we're
trying to do here.  I don't think this forum is "working" in terms of
its original objectives.  And I don't think it is "working" for many
individuals, which is why there seems to be a flurry of drop-outs.

Maybe those with more experience with the original terms of reference
for the group can speak up here.  Perhaps these dialogues are just what
people wanted.  I don't mind them, but I often have them with a beer in
my hand on a Friday evening.

Mike

Back to TOC