I'm a fag-enabler, too

    Fred Phelps, Baptist minister from Kansas, claims he is coming to
Moscow on July 6 to burn a rainbow "gay flag" at the UI, in response to
the prosecution of the UI students who stole a similar flag.
    I went to his website (www.godhatesfags.com).  Fred really is a
full-service kind of bigot.  He seems to hate everyone.  Gay people, of
course.  But also those who are even mildly supportive of gay people.
Those he labels "fag-enablers."
    I did not realize the number of "fag-enablers" in this country.
Fred says that the Rev. Billy Graham is a "fag-enabler."  President
George W. Bush is a "fag-enabler," but First Lady Laura Bush is a
"fag-pimp."
    Then it struck me: I am a fag-enabler, too.
    I am glad to treat gays and lesbians as actual humans.  I am pleased
that in Moscow gays are our neighbors, friends, and co-workers.
    So, what am I going to do as a newly-discovered fag-enabler?  Well,
I decided not to attend Fred's little flag-burning party at the UI.
Arousing crowds is his business, it's how he makes his living.  He sells
theatre.
    Instead, the Palouse gay community and its enabling friends will be
at the counter-rally at the Farmer's Market on July 6, and then two
weeks later at the Palouse Pride Festival at East City Park, July 20.
Those will be two more comfortable events for this fag-enabler.
BL
ps. I also decided to include Fred in this email.  He might be curious
as to the number of fag-enablers here in Moscow.  Fred's email is
<ghf-info@godhatesfags.com>.

Back to TOC