RE: rumor control

> As for a “goal” regarding the presence of the gay community on the
> Palouse, can I also be straightforward and ask: doesn’t the question
> assume a natural, modern love for political control? Modernity delights
> in political power far more than Christianity cares. We tend to think
> politics is rather boring and petty, and we’ll continue to tease those
> locals whose lives obsess about it. What a waste. Politics is so often
> an idol for those who resent life and want to push others around by
> force. There are much richer things to do in life.

I'm still not sure what all this modernity stuff is.  It sounds like you
know something about a philosophical position, point out all the negative
aspects, and then call people "Moderns" (as if it were a bad word and as
if you really knew who these people you were labeling were).  You are name
calling.  You aren't really interested in dialogue because you are so
convienced that you are totally right.  Their response: "I don't agree
with you," your response: "Ha ha! Stupid Moderns."

> 	The paradigm of historic Christianity obviously clashes with
> other community paradigms, including gay pride assumptions. That should
> be expected, and we shouldn’t be shocked to shrillness by it. But
> wouldn’t it be fascinating if Moscow could dialogue more and better than
> most communities across the nation? We would probably never convince
> each other, but at least it would be harder to demonize each other so
> easily.

I totally agree.  I've tried.  Did anyone get my suggestion of a potluck
or dinner?  No one responded.  Guess that is how everyone really thinks of
each other.  Didn't Jesus say something to the affect of "When you have a
banquet, invite the poor and the lame?"

> Talk of politics always polarizes because it threatens violence.
> Wouldn’t it be great if we could talk about something else? Wouldn’t
> it be great if the various conflicting communities could talk about
> beauty and goodness, comparing and criticizing each other, over these
> topics? (And wouldn’t it be nice, if we could do this without your
> implicit political threat of violence that moderns so chirpily hold on
> to? – levies, thought crimes, etc.)

Politics affects us all no matter how much you do or don't care.  Not one
of the people who belong to this email, whom you've labeled "Moderns," has
advocated violence, but somehow now you've accused people of it.  Some
political groups are violent, like the IRA, ETA, etc, and some are of a
peaceful nature, like Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr, and the gay movement
(generally, like all movements you have your extremists who use violence
or advocate its use to achieve many of the same goals the peace protesters
are aiming for).  And there are many examples of Christians with political
motives too.

> Yes, we think modernity is ugly and intolerant, and gay pride
> assumptions are very conformist and resentful at heart. And all these
> folks return the charge against Christianity quite quickly.

Have you been to a gay pride planning committee or anything?  How do you
know?  I do agree though that many gay people feel resentful and hostile
toward Christianity.  But how would you feel towards someone if for all
your life that person or group has told you what you were and who you are
is offensive to them.  That they were going to hell.  Not what I would
want to embrace.

> 	But let the Jerry Falwells of the world run their political
> boycotts and freak-out over gay library books. Yes, the same tolerance
> wouldn’t be granted to Christians.

Well I know the UI has many copies of the Bible and other Christian
writers.  And what you don't have direct access to here, can be sought out
for you by the library.  Is that what you mean by "the same tolerance
wouldn't be granted to Christians?"  Or would you rather the Bible not be
in the same building as a book that says being gay is okay?

> Recently, four sandwich boards provoked Second Coming type headlines
> in the paper; imagine what a “Christian pride” parade would do. That
> would be silly, but it would instantly invoke red-faced protests from
> many locals.

Actually Gay Pride includes Christian Pride.  Many Gay Christians come
during the celebrations.  You are most welcome at Moscow's.

> But we prefer to tease moderns for their rather incessant hypocrisies
> and smallness. Life is much bigger. In the long term, beauty will win
> out.

Oh I do believe so too.

> 	The real question is about living life well now. Why not talk
> more openly about our differences and let the most beautiful worldview
> and culture seduce the others? That would be a grand “goal” for the
> Palouse.

I agree.  And lets talk about ALL our differences and hopefully we can ALL
be included in this beautiful worldview you speak of.

Love

Daniel

Back to TOC