Re: Gay killers/public sex

> To what standard should the values of indoctrination be evaluated?

Well first off, I don't really think you can standardize intangible
varying beliefs.  Is that what you mean by "standard."  I think education
should basically reflect as many views as possible according to what the
community can supply.  Values that are common to many viewpoints, ie
murder is wrong, will be easy to teach, but values that differ with
differing viewpoints, well is more complicated.  But I think to simplify
it all you would have to do is say what many different people say about
such and such issue.  Whether anything is "right" or "wrong" is what is
(or should be) left up to the parents.  But I guess you can get into a
hairy situation when you want to say "it is good to let everyone have a
say."

> Should I be force to pay for the indoctrination to standards I find
> abhorrent?

Well if what you find abhorrent is that more than just you have a say in
what is taught then I'm sorry but you are included in this society and
need to contribute like the rest of the world.  What do you find
abhorrent?

> Is true diversity allowed in the indoctrination? For example, can the
> government schools teach that God says that sodomy is wrong?

I've said it once and I'll say it again.  "True diversity" doesn't exclude
anyone based on value judgements.  Just because you think God says sodomy
is wrong doesn't mean we aren't tolerant of your views because we don't
allow your views to dominate.  You CAN however say that some people THINK
God says sodomy is wrong.  That is education, but when you say that it is
wrong and you don't allow anyone to disagree or share their view, that is
indoctrination.

> What about real tolerance for parents that disagree and dont want to
> have any part of the system or parts of the system, why should they
> pay for that part of the indoctrination?

Because they are still members of society and should be part of that
society in all ways, with its benefits and draw backs.  You can't take all
the good things you like and throw away what you don't like.  Its an all
or nothing deal.

Daniel

Back to TOC