Gay killers/public sex

You post some interesting information, John.  Kudos for offering
substance in the form of references, etc., and for the shear time to
do so.

Regarding your list of killers, D. Kim Rossmo's (excellent) book,
Geographic Profiling (CRC Press, 2000), suggests the top killers
are/were somewhat different than your own list.  He lists:

Name:		Victims:
Daniel Barboza	59
Robert Diaz	60
Joseph Fischer	100
Donald Gaskins	100
Donald Harvey	55
Henry Lee Lucas	100
Herman Mudgett	200*
John Murrell	500

*co-killer involved

This is not to discredit the concept you suggest, just that the link
is not quite that clear, and does not have the evidence to support
it.  That said, I am not sure and Rossmo does not speak to the above
victims' gender.  Maybe the "gentlemen" you list were tops for deaths
of boys/men?

Regarding the deviancy portrayed in use of public sites for sex, this
is a very interesting phenomenon that I've looked at in my research
on park crimes.  It appears that indecent exposure related to
homosexual males engaging in sex is one of the most persistent and
consistent offenses affecting U.S. urban parks.  Exactly why this is
has not been studied in much detail.  However, Humphreys' Tearoom
Trade offers a pretty thorough discussion of it.

I am not sure that there is much relationships between a willingness
to engage in illegal and likely unwanted behavior in public settings
and a similar desire to share beliefs in public educational settings.
However, one key issue seems to be whether there exists a desire by
ANY members of the gay community to recruit.  If there is, then
sharing is no longer a passive information exchange, but rather a
proactive exercise to at least meet like-minded individuals (eg, to
assist them in feeling comfortable with outing).  I believe the issue
that you may be getting at is that some evidence exists that shows
SOME gay individuals do more than locate/comfort; they seek to
involve others by engaging them, either through encouragement,
coercion or force.

Interesting topic.  I don't suppose it will go away.  Influencing the
next generation is just too importantŠno matter what your world view.