Re: Government Schools, Modernity, & Beauty

Once again, I would point out that CONTROL, not belief, is at the
center of the argument re: secular vs "religious" schooling. As a
mental health counselor, I worked with many adults who were
attempting to leave their judgmental, invalidating religious
upbringing behind them. Many of my clients were young adults who
were indoctrinated into a world view which left them clueless---
these were NOT public school graduates, but those who were given
few choices and little ability to make decisions beyond good=my
parents' religion and bad= everything else. The premise of the
Constitution of the USA is that individual rights prevail----freedom of
religion, freedom of dissent, freedom of CHOICE----too bad for all
those who wish to impose their religious righteousness on the rest
of us. Get patriotic, for Diety's sake, and worship your way while I
worship mine. If you want your children mind controlled by your
religion, go for it. I just take exception when you want my children
to follow your rigid, righteous, dogmatic and judgemental view
points....
Debi Robinson-Smith
debismith@moscow.com

Back to TOC