Re: Government Schools and Atheism

My children attended public schools, yet they are definitely not athiests. Due to the teaching we provided in our home (multi- religious and tolerant), the now functional adults raised in my home have very strong spiritual beliefs of their own choosing. Public school helped them understand that, as citizens of the USA, people have the freedom to choose a belief system. I think those who insist that children must be taught that only one view point is valid (and I mean ANY ONE VIEW) do not understand what it means to be an American... They also understand that this is a democracy, that the majority opinion holds sway, and that marginalized people need support. Somehow, these lessons do not seem to reach those who insist that their religious view is the only one that is valid. If my children learned this--while in public school-- what is missing in the parenting of those threatened by differing views? If one is strong in faith, and is able to instill that faith in one's children, there is no threat. I believe it is an issue of control, not faith in God or Christian beliefs, that is the heart of this argument....
Debi Robinson-Smith
debismith@moscow.com

Back to TOC