Re: Pluralism and Coercion

At 09:33 AM 6/4/2002 -0400, Doug Jones wrote:
>What if
>the tables were turned and the community imposed a levy to support some
>ailing private religious schools by an appeal to "compelling national
>stake in an educated citizenry"? Why then would the public school
>proponents cry fowl

This would not be unprecedented--recall (to me) the most obvious
example:  The federal government's rescue of Chrysler Corp.  Yes, some
people cried foul--some people always cry foul, no matter what the
government does.

It is more likely that the government (and people) would move to rescue
ailing private secular schools, as the "respecting any religion" thing
could get in the way of aiding a religious school.  I think this still
serves the point.  This kind of intervention would not be unprecedented;
nor would it be unchallenged.  That's the system.

Bob Hoffmann
846 Mabelle St.
Moscow, ID  83843

Tel: 208 883-0642