Re: Riffing and charter school service

Charter school teachers were not affected by
the reduction in force in the district schools.*
The section you quote would have had
application if one of the charter teachers had
sought to transfer back to the district for next
year.  That teacher's seniority would have been
calculated and compared to others to
determine if s/he would have been subject to
the RIF.  If a charter teacher wants to return to
the district at some later date s/he will be in line
with teachers who were "cut" by the RIF in order
of their seniority.  In other words, a teacher who
moves to a charter school and then back to the
district has no extra priority than s/he would
have had by staying in the district the entire
period.

Mike Curley
* Charter schools ARE district schools by state
law although they are not governed by the
district administration.  As used here, "district
schools" is used to distinguish those that are not
charter schools.