Re: Postpone taxcuts.

At 07:28 PM 1/31/2002 -0800, Kirk Koefod wrote:
>Concerning postponing the State tax cut.
>  Why don't you people who do not want the tax cut, give it back to the
> State when you get it. This way you are giving the people of Idaho the
> choice of receiving the tax cut or the choice of giving it back to the State.
>                                        Kirk Koefod

I think this is an excellent idea.  In fact, let's extend it.  Let's make
contributions to the Department of Defense voluntary.  So if you want to
support the DOD, you exercise a choice to do so.  Maybe we could run the
entire country this way--Those who want to send in money for education can
do so.  Transportation, health care, welfare, immigration & naturalization,
customs, regulation of the nuclear industry, etc., can all be done on a
voluntary basis.  What a great country this would be!

Really, this is how my teachers explained Communism to me:  Everybody got
equal pay, no matter how hard they worked.  But of course the system was
worthless, because most people found out that they could be lazy, and still
get the same benefits.  So that left the few idealists to carry the
burden.  Labor vs. taxes.  Either way, everyone must put in their fair
share to make the system work.

Here's an entirely different thought about the State of the
Nation.  Suppose you went to a financial advisor and told him that 25% of
your income was being spent on the interest on your credit cards.  What do
you think he would tell you to do--cut your income, or work hard to
decrease your debt?  Don't bother to guess; the standard advice I've read
in finance books, heard on radio & TV finance shows, and heard in the
offices of financial advisors is PAY OFF YOUR DEBT.  I haven't heard
anybody so stupid as to ask "What about decreasing my income?  Is that a
viable alternative?"  Yet this is the solution given to us by
politicians.  They say, "Why pay off our debt today?  You, the taxpayer,
can pay it off tomorrow, plus all of that extra interest!  Doesn't that
sound like a great idea?"  Yes, clamor the masses, instant gratification,
pay the piper later!  Party!  Party!  Let those who don't want to party pay
off the debt--the fools!

Bob Hoffmann
846 Mabelle St.
Moscow, ID  83843