Re: Proposed Gym

While I can appreciate the challenges of building an indoor recreation
facility designed specifically for young children (under 5 yrs), I agree
with John Cronin - it is a need in our community.

The youngest children in our community and their families have limited
indoor recreation opportunities.  I work with families on a daily basis
and this is the message I have received loud and clear.  We have an
opportunity and a responsiblity to include our youngest community members
in the planning of this facility.  Young children have as much need for
recreation as the school age child.

Ideally, we would provide a designated play space for children birth to
five, specifically designed for their unique large and small muscle needs.
This space would be a safe distance from basketball, volleyball, and other
organized sports that are very appropriate for school age children, but
not for preschoolers, toddlers, and infants.

I believe Bob Hamilton in no way intended to exclude any child in this
community, but perhaps he was unaware of the recreation needs of our
youngest community members and how they differ from those of a school age
child.  One size does not fit all.

The Palouse Ice Rink is a wonderful contribution to this community and it
has been very well received, but it doesn't fill the need for an indoor
recreation space for families of infants, toddler, and preschool children.

Marci Schreiber
Early Childhood Service Council

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Jon Kimberling wrote:

> I wanted to respond to John Cronin's comments regarding the gym and
> who it was intended to benefit. During the year prior to Bob's death,
> my brother Greg and I met with Bob and various City officials,
> including Mayor Marshall Comstock, City Supervisor Gary Riedner and
> Parks & Rec Director Randy Rice, at least half a dozen times. We had
> the opportunity to hear Bob's vision for the facility. His greatest
> wish was that Moscow kids would have a place to go after school, on
> the weekends and evenings. He spoke of basketball, volleyball and
> other activities that are popular with kids today. Not once did he
> state his intent to exclude anyone. His desire was to include all
> youth high school age or younger.
>
> Contrary to what John claims, I believe the Dream Team design of a
> multi-use facility will benefit the people Bob intended it to- any and
> all of our youth. I look forward to hearing the exciting details about
> the new facility. See you tonight.
>
> Jon Kimberling

Back to TOC