RE: And another view

Thank you for posting this. It is a point of view that has truth in it. It
is true that a few fundamentalist religious individuals dislike the ways of
the west as decadent. Actually some fundamentalist religious Christians in
this country have the same opinion. Many non-religious and non-fanatic
friends right here in our discussion group would say the same thing and in
some ways I would have to agree with this view with them. To blame the
animosity we face in general to religious conviction, however, is rooted in
not understanding the culture of the Persian Middle East. Religion has been
used to distort truth and mislead the general population for thousands of
years. In a fascinating history book I read recently the author tracks the
fall of every great civilization to its inability to keep religion out of
the affairs of the state (we are going this way too). Religions are funny
things... they come and bring civilization by teaching man to follow a
righteous path. Eventually these good teachings age and their meaning fade.
Slowly the fundamental teachings are lost and language has changed.
Translations loose significant details and disasters destroy original
archives. Before long the two thousand year old religion has very little to
do with the original teachings that were brought to man for his guidance.
Man has a tendency to try to "enhance" religion to his own liking and needs.
At this point the religion is used by the clerics to manipulate and control
people. In Iran the religious clerics are millionaires... they are not in
this for the religious principles... they are in it for the money. Taliban
is a drug cartel... to say that they are a religious organization is
misguided. This would explain why we have done the wrong thing for the past
40 years in the region.

"Your brother in arms"
Shahab...