From: George Grader [mailto:grad9475@uidaho.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 4:02 PM
To: Wes Crain; vicki bars; Toby Micklethwait; Terry Naumann; Tamra Schiappa; Susanne & Richard Miller; Susan Butts-Matheson; Stephen Bach; Spaulding Donna GS-12 ESC/AW; Simon Kattenhorn; Shehab Mespah; Sarah Grader; Sand Castle; Ron G McMullin/R6/USDAFS; Ryan; Robin Evans; Roberto Iannuzzi; Richard Collins; rachel@iron.mines.uidaho.edu; peter butterfield; Peter Wilde; penny neal; Peggy Adams; Peggy Adams; Pedro Najar; Paul Link; Patrick Evans; Patrick Crist; Pat Bageant; Parks, Robert; Oscar Arispe; Nancy Casey; Nora T. Lehmann; Mose; mike pope; Mike DeSantis; mikala beig; Michael Whalen; Michael Jensen; Melissa Santoro; melinda Harm; McMullin_Ron/r6pnw_umpqua@fs.fed.us; Matt Tremblay; Matt and Melissa; Mark Solomon; Mark Kahn; Marc Roper; Marc Roper; Luigi Ferranti; Ludmila; Lucy Jones; leilani.lehmann@stud-mail.uni-wuerzburg.de; Kristen Roeder; Kirsti Hastings; Kent Campbell; keith gray; Kathrin Bickel; Kamper Markus; John McCarthy; Joe Namlick; Jim LaFortune; jenny; jennifer Spencer; Jen Spencer; Jan Van Manen; Jack Lowry; Harriett Matthews; Ham Niles; Guy Adema; Guy Adema; Guy Adema; gfizzell@camasnet.com; ferranti@gms01.geomare.na.cnr.it; Erik Nielsen; Enrique Diaz-Martinez; elizabeth beckett; Dwight Trainer, Nancy; Dwight Grader; Donny Johnston; denny phillips; David Sanford Lewis; David Rosen; David Elliott; Dave Rosen; Dave Peckham; Dale Graden; coglibsalon@topica.com; Christine Halvorson; Cig1313@aol.com; Charlotte Goddard; Charles grader; Charles B. Peeples III; Castillo, Carla; Carol M. Dehler; Carla Osborne; C.L.Osborne; Bryan Yee; Brian Keith Axel; Brad Halter; Board Dog; billshan@uidaho.edu; Bill Rember; ann Clizer; Angela Jean Taylor; Alex Boughamer; Adam Richard Fish; Adam H. Oppenheim; Adam Fish
Subject: September 11 disaster analysis

The following 9 pages comes with an overview.

It was written by Charles Pezeshki, an amigo

here in Moscow, Idaho.   This is perhaps of

interest to you...      George

Because the piece is so long (6000 words), I have synopsized it at the top, so those that want can skip any/all if they so desire!

Chuck Pezeshki
Associate Professor
School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
WSU-Pullman
Pullman, WA 99164-2920
509-335-7662 (W)
208-883-3001 (H)

September 11, 2001  -- Interpretation and Action

Copyright Chuck Pezeshki, pezeshki@moscow.com

Synopsis

Introduction

Whatıs the Purpose of the Piece?
‹Insights in how to avert future tragedies

Who am I?  -- 2nd Generation Iranian-American, Politically Active, Rural Background

Compassion is the Only Answer‹compassion as a pragmatic concern, governing mythos in the Middle East,  and dismantling that mythos by attacking root material causes, history of Islam and the realities of the Crusades, understanding warfare in the Middle East

Is This Another Pearl Harbor? --  Comparison between Japan and Afghanistan, economic entry of the U.S. onto the world stage, cultural and social lags in the U.S. and the need for recognition of roles and responsibilities.

The Luxury of Agnosticism‹Understanding the gaps in relations between the more materially wealthy and less materially wealthy peoples of the world.  The need for religion in places of great deprivation.  Discussion of the sin of transference.  Understanding the WTC tragedy in light of the Oklahoma City tragedy, and the recognition of extreme terrorists as a statistical product of dysfunctional systems‹not a statistical anomaly.

What are our Values and Way of Life? ­ discussion of the gap between rich and poor across the world, focus on the Puritan notion of Godıs blessings, and the American notion of work, Œwinner take allı philosophy, and the notion of Œdo we deserve this?ı.  The idea that Œthe poor deserve to be poor.ı

Military Force ­ pros and cons of military strikes, including surgical actions.  The problem with assassination as a long-term method for managing terrorists, the juvenilization of leadership and descent into chaos in countries with long civil conflicts.  Long term U.S. support of repressive regimes in the region.  Our ability to arbitrate who lives or dies in a sustained covert campaign.  National characters and differing warfighting abilities.  The use of nuclear weapons as a tactical tool.  Long-term strategic failure of military force.

Water and Israel ­ basic demographics driving the primary conflict in the Middle East.  The problem of water shortage.  The American fascination with Jerusalem.

Developing Situations --  the looming invasion of Afghanistan, the players.  The current refugee situation.  Seizing Osama bin Laden‹the history of the Hashashin.

Speculative Issues ­ how the War on Drugs has financed terrorist networks and honed their skills in transporting contraband undetected across the world.

Introduction

It would be difficult for anyone in the world to not know what happened on September 11, 2001.  The global coverage of the major media companies has grown so extensive that everywhere in the modern world had to be informed of the events in New York and Washington, D.C., by dayıs end (or beginning, dependent on time zone).

Equivalently, lead by President George W. Bush, the nation is being swept forcefully by the notion of religious revival.  Sept. 16, while answering questions from the press, the President called it a crusade.  The secular voice of this greatest secular country that owes its success to the separation of religion from political life, in my opinion is more profoundly threatened than any other time in the last 100 years.

This piece was written holding that thought in mind, more than any other.  There is no question about the horrific loss of life, the sad and tragic nature of events, and the ominous void that looms in front of us if our actions during this time are not based on knowledge, logic and the integration of reason.

Whatıs the Purpose?

The purpose of this piece is to give insight into why the events of September 11 transpired as they did.  The purpose is to not to vent or grieve.  Many people in the country have close personal contact with the tragedy.  Our family had relatives that worked close to the WTC.  I have had hundreds of students that are members of the armed services that will be some of those people called to military action if it is taken.  Because of the magnitude of the tragedy, there is probably no person in the United States that is more than one degree removed from the events.  The purpose of this piece is to discuss how future tragedy can be averted.

Who am I?

I write this piece from the perspective of a second-generation Iranian-American.  I was born in Minneapolis, MN in 1962, September 11.  My father, a doctor, was an Iranian immigrant from Tehran;  my mother, a nurse, was born of blue-collar Scotch-Irish/Swedish descent in Independence, MO.  I grew up in rural Southern Ohio, along the Ohio River, in the Appalachian foothills in coal country.  Like many immigrant doctors, my father, a city person, was forced to move to the rural countryside because of unavailability of staff positions in urban hospitals.  These positions at that time were reserved for sons and associates of doctors already on staff‹direct discrimination against the immigrant doctors, who were often trapped in low-paid residencies by immigration status difficulties.  My father met my mother during one of those residencies in Galveston, TX, and they were married four months later.  While they fell in love, my father married my mother in part to gain residency, a fact that is acknowledged by both.

I am indelibly American.  I was born here, baptized a Catholic, ate hot-dogs, blew out candles on a birthday cake.  I am an Eagle Scout, a spelling bee champ.  I was raised Catholic, was even an altar boy, attended Catholic school.  I shoveled horse manure, built fence and threw hay on our small farm in the hills.  I had a Sunday paper route, was Junior class president, marched with my Boy Scout troop in the 4th of July parade.  I drove a pick-up truck, hiked the hills, drank moonshine with my friend from Kentucky.

But in a much more subtle way, a large part of me has been influenced by my father and his Iranian background.  I grew up surrounded by individuals, scholars, and doctors from around the world.  And though I do not speak Farsi ­ my father was an assimilative immigrant; he did not teach us the language because he wanted us to be American‹I was raised with an appreciation of the cultures of the Middle East.  I love the art, the geometry, the music of the region.  I am a Ph.D. engineer, and a professor, one of the highest status positions in Middle-Eastern society, and directly due to my fatherıs influence.  I was raised with a large sense of social obligation.  As the child of an immigrant, from a country ruled by a dictator and a tyrant, supported by both Britain and the U.S., I was taught to use my right of free speech, and be involved in my government in a way that most Americans are not.  I derive a great deal of my personal self-esteem from the notion of being a learned man, knowledgeable in the arts, music and history, as well as my profession. I am not afraid to argue on price for an automobile or house, and I know the difference between the words Œbargainı and Œbarterı.  I was inculcated with the belief that my marriage was as much a practical affair as an affair of the heart. These are not values exclusively belonging to individuals from the Middle East, but anyone with contacts there knows how strongly these values are held.

Because of my background, both sides of this particular issue are painfully clear to me.  I weep for the mothers of the sons and daughters that were killed in the blast when the World Trade Centers were attacked.  But I also mourn also for the Palestinian mother, holding her dysenteric child in a crowded refugee camp, without water to bathe, while Jewish children swim in a pool adjacent in a new settlement.

Compassion is the Only Answer

When one confronts a problem, it becomes necessary to define exactly what that problem is before moving on to solutions for the problem.  Problem definition is an important part of any design process, be it a social or technical.  The two primary things that are generated in any process must be definition of need, and method of measuring success.

Four airliners piloted by suicide pilots of Islamic terrorist origin have posed the problem:  how do we keep our civilian population safe from the dangers of terrorism?  Historically, we as a country have had little interest in keeping the rest of the world safe from this type of event.  Bomb blasts from terrorists are an unfortunate part of life for much of the rest of the world.  Even attacks against American facilities overseas have not attracted much domestic interest‹the Kenyan and Tanzanian American embassies being an example.  Though the response‹cruise missiles against guerrilla bases in Afghanistan and a pharmaceutical factory in Sudan-- had great effect on those in the countries being attacked, interest faded quickly in the U.S., with partisan bickering over the intent of the attack, and criticism by the Republican right against Clinton for using military force as a distraction from the Lewinsky scandal.

How do we keep the domestic civilian population safe?  The only way is to remove the motivators of those nations that produce terrorists.  And these primary motivators are material‹deprivation, dislocation, high infant mortality and persecution.  These physical conditions are the foundation of an apocalyptic religious/myth structure that the radical Islamic leadership in the Middle East uses to justify action.

One may reasonably argue with this thesis.  However, religion is only part of the driver, even though on the surface it appears a hard case to argue that anything but religious fervor drove the young men that boarded the planes that blew up the WTC.  But this is the key point‹religious fervor was generated because leaders of the Islamist movement have used it to synthesize a dominant mythos to explain their peopleıs pathetic material plight.  The only way to dismantle the mythos is to attack material deprivation and persecution at the base level in these countries.

Many Americans are unaware how the mythos of the Crusades drives the Islamic view of the current crisis in the Middle East.  A good part of the Arab world views the establishment of Israel in 1948 as a continuation of a 900-year-old story of conquest and retention of the Holy Land in Christian possession.  Yasser Arafat himself has referred to Salah Al-din, the Turkish liberator of the Holy Land from the Christians, and his loss of 70,000 men in the capture of Jerusalem as perhaps a small fraction of the people that he is willing to lose in order to achieve the same goal.  And even in this week following the bombing, President G.W. Bush has repeated urged Americans to pray Œon bended kneeı for divine guidance for a new war for the Holy Land.  On September 16, 2001, he announced Œa crusadeı.  Additionally, holding on to Jerusalem is a high priority of the Radical Right in the U.S., as many fundamentalist Christians believe that Jesus will not come again until the Temple of Solomon is rebuilt upon the Temple Mount in Jerusalem.  Whether G.W. Bush realizes it or not, by using such language he is talking in code to key constituencies on both sides of the equation.

What is interesting is that the modes of conflict in the Middle East have also not fundamentally changed for the past 1400 years.  When the Christians conquered Jerusalem in 1099, they killed all the inhabitants, both Jews and Muslims, and moved into their houses.  When Salah Al-din re-took the city in 1187, the Turkish conqueror returned the favor (though in a much less bloody fashion), turning the Christians out of their houses and re-installing the Muslim population.  This pattern has still persisted in the modern age, with the Jewish population, once again with the upper hand, turning out the resident Palestinians out of their homes and moving in Jewish Œsettlersı, a euphemism for people occupying land already occupied by Palestinians.  Assassinations and suicide attacks have been de rigeur on both sides of the religious aisle‹the Christian conquest of Jerusalem in the First Crusade was a human-wave attack, and after victory, the conquerors massacred the inhabitants of Jerusalem, both Jews and Muslims alike.

Equally, the beginnings of Islam are rife with violent conflict between the heads of religious life and secular government.  Only two successions after the death of the prophet Muhammed led to conflict across the Islamic empire‹this time between ŒUthman, the first Islamic Caliph killed by his own people (while reading the Quıran, no less!)  and Ali, the son-in-law of Muhammed and founder of the Shiıa branch of the Muslim faith.  Violence has historically gone both ways‹the secular Caliphs had no problem killing the Imams, or religious leaders.  Indeed, the defining event of the Shiıa branch of Islam is the death of Husayn, son of Ali, by the Umayyad Caliphate, as well as the lack of the faithful to rally around their Imam.

One of the conclusions that one can draw out of all this is this:  the historical record for dispute resolution in the region is filled with suicidal violence;  and considering the faith-based antipathy between Christians, Jews, and Muslims, these religious problems are not going to fixed by more religion.  Equally, it is important to understand how Islam and Christianity operate to see that once again, religion is not the only cause of problems in the region‹rather it serves as the cultural driver and mythological framework by which leaders move the masses to distract them from material concerns.

Is this another Pearl Harbor?

Other than the notion of an attack on U.S. soil, it is incomprehensible to view the attack on the World Trade Centers and the Pentagon as another Pearl Harbor.  The attack on the WTC, I believe, will be demonstrated as executed by less than 200 people, and probably less than 100.  The attack on Pearl Harbor was orchestrated by thousands of Japanese, and backed by one of the pre-eminent world powers of its time.  Japan entered WWII as a war to acquire a large natural resource base that they did not have.  Attacking Pearl Harbor was a brilliant military move.  At the same time, Japan was also bombing Clark Air Force Base in the Philippines, the desired material target, and  America would probably have been drawn into the war anyway.

The individuals who rammed the planes into the WTC were acting out of sociopathic frustration for the plight of some of the poorest people in the world.  We are now readying our forces and galvanizing public opinion to attack Afghanistan, one of the poorest in the Muslim world, that also has one of the highest infant mortality rates (165 deaths/1000).

Americans are famous for their insular perspective‹in general, we donıt care much about the rest of the world (I have friends who have vacationed in Mexico and complain that Mexicans speak Spanish!) and we believe that the rest of the world wants to love us.  Economically, this insular attitude used to be well-justified.  We are an island nation, and until only thirty years ago, world trade was approximately 6% of U.S. GNP.  People rarely traveled overseas, and if they did, it was to Europe.

Times have changed.  The last trade figures I saw showed global trade as 22% of GDP.  This is a radical increase for a period of thirty years, brought on primarily by advances in satellite telecommunication and the accessibility of airline travel.  However, compared to the 35-40% of GDP that trade makes up for most European nations, we are still not as integrated as many nations.

What we have is a cultural/social lag regarding understanding global politics relative to our own changing economy.  We are world citizens in terms of all our material possessions.  It is virtually impossible to buy a pair of tennis shoes made in the U.S.  However, we have not owned up to our obligation of being world citizens in terms of politics.  Most Americans have not owned up to their obligation of being informed U.S. citizens.

It is no coincidence that the three buildings hit were the Twin Towers and the Pentagon.  Early reports indicated that the airplane that hit the Pentagon circled the White House, but decided NOT to crash into it.  I find this extremely significant.  Increasingly, this is the way the rest of the poorest part of the world views us‹as the military/industrial complex.

The only response that will change this is a state of global outreach to service basic human need that we must initiate.  Otherwise, the next stop on the terrorist bus will be a nuclear bomb in San Francisco Bay or the Potomac or Hudson Rivers.

The Luxury of Agnosticism

I am an agnostic.  Holding such beliefs, regardless of the logic involved in obtaining them, or the physical reality surrounding them, are a luxury afforded to me by my level of personal material comfort.  My life is pleasant enough that I do not need the notion of a hereafter to get through the day or keep my sanity.

Circumstances in the rest of the world are not so pleasant‹especially so in the Middle East.  Many of the countries involved are some of the poorest in the world.  Income levels in the West Bank and Gaza Strip have dropped 33% in the last four years.  When I traveled to Egypt last year, I was amazed at the level of environmental degradation and pollution.  During that trip, I floated the Nile from Aswan to Luxor, stayed in Cairo, traveled out to the Delta region and spent three days on the Red Sea at the tip of the Sinai peninsula.  The water in the Nile stank of oil.  In Cairo, peering down on the smog from the 4th floor of my hotel, I could see the blue plume of exhaust from leaded gasoline floating just above the traffic.  Outside of Cairo and the primary tourist sites, trash was everywhere.  Upon touching down outside Sharm El-Shaik, the desert outside the airport gates was filled with plastic water bottles.  I am naturally an adventurous individual.  Yet I found that I could only last four hours in downtown Cairo before I felt forced to retreat to my room in one of the five-star hotels surrounding the Egyptian museum.  My impression of life in the countryside was even worse, though a bit less crowded.  And there was no escape from this, either.  While I found that the Egyptian people were uniformly warm and helpful, the only green space available was in small patches.  Even floating down the Nile, there was no part of the country outside the desert that lined the Nile that was remotely in a natural condition.  Every square inch of land had been manipulated by human hands.

While Egypt is one of the more crowded countries in the region (and the only Mideastern country I have visited), it is not hard to see how the notion of a Heaven is an important touchstone for sanity, especially among the more impoverished.  Add this to the lack of recognition of the value of an individual‹life is cheap in many of these countries, due to overpopulation and an abundance of the poor‹and one can see how one might dream about getting to Heaven.

This is profoundly different from American thought.  In our belief system, Heaven is where you go if youıve led a moral existence.  But none of us are in any particular rush to get there.  Add to this the notion of the worth of the individual, the basis of the Bill of Rights and our modern democracy, it becomes very difficult for Americans to understand how a person could get behind the flight controls of an airplane and ram it into a building‹let alone coordinating 18 others to do the same thing at exactly the same time.

But attempting to understand any part of this by superposing mainstream American values will fall flat, committing Œthe sin of transferenceı‹assuming that anyone other than yourself thinks like you do.  The people that did this were not the average American.

In fact, they are not even mainstream individuals from the Middle East.  Though physical circumstances in the region are oppressive for a large plurality of its citizens, masses of them are not committing suicide in the streets.  Even so, characterizing the terrorists as sociopaths or cowards is not going to provide solutions on how to stop such events from happening again.  In their minds (and apparently in the minds of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, considering their post-tragedy comments), they were heroes, doing the divine will of God.  They left families behind to do this.  They embraced what they believed was holy mission.  And their behavior was rational from their perspective.

The case of the other catastrophic bombing in recent U.S. history, the 1995 Oklahoma City Federal Building case, is instructive here.  In his book, A Force Upon the Plain, Kenneth Stern comes up with a very useful analogy to understanding how someone like Timothy McVeigh could drive a Ryder truck next to the Federal building and blow it up.  He characterizes the system that produced McVeigh as a funnel.  Out on the edge of the funnel, one would have the conservative, fundamentalist churches, followers of Pat Robertson, and so on.  Further down the funnel, one would have non-racist Christian Identity followers.  Even further down, one has racist Identity, and various Nazi movements.  Finally, at the end of the funnel, out pops Timothy McVeigh.  It becomes important not to view McVeigh as an anomaly.  Instead, McVeigh is a statistical product of a certain worldview‹that the United States is becoming a heathen nation, that government is persecuting believers, and so on.  Estimating that there are probably close to 20 million fundamentalist Christians in the United States (add the followers of the Southern Baptists, Mormons, Pentecostals, etc. together), that amalgamation produced two known individuals who would blow up a Federal Building, killing168 people.

The forces that produced the ideology that drove McVeigh‹collapse of rural economies across the U.S., dislocation of families and individuals forced off their farms by foreclosure, a rapid change of value systems surrounding these people and driven by technology, are in many ways not that different from those occurring in the Mideast, save that the socio-economic forces in the Mideast are probably multiplied by at least one order of magnitude.  Intensive urbanization has occurred across the region in the past 50 years.  Couple that with consistent economic problems, the Russian invasion of Afghanistan and the Desert Storm operation, as well as the insertion of the nation of Israel into the equation, and you have a fertile ground for the same type of funnel effect‹except now, instead of 20 million people at the wide end of the funnel, one has probably close to 1 billion, with larger statistical recruitment multipliers , and not in our favor.

What are our Values and ŒWay of Lifeı?

Thereıs been lots of talk in the past week about protecting Œour way of lifeı.  What does this actually mean?  It is not obvious what Œway of lifeı we are trying to protect.  Are we trying to protect our ability to fly anywhere we want, whenever we want, without risk?  Are we trying to protect our ability to exploit fossil fuels for nearly unlimited mobility for the middle-class and rich segments of our population?  Are we trying to protect our Œrightı to be waited on by impoverished servants in Third-World countries while on vacation?  Are we attempting to protect our right to be the leading greenhouse gas producer in the world?

And how does this plug in with the issue of values?  What are our values, really?  It is obvious that a core American value is one of hard work.  I have traveled the world, and with precious few exceptions, no one works as hard as we do.  We value individual choice, and believe that individual choice is best manifested by flexibility in buying consumer goods.  We do not value place much at all.  We are a bicoastal people, constantly on the move, and if we screw up one place, we are completely convinced it is within our rights to move on.  And we view all of this as ordained by God‹America is nothing if not the country of Manifest Destiny.

Our values are as much a function of our history as any other people.  Our Founding Fathers were largely tobacco farmers, practicing a form of slash-and-burn agriculture that drove westward expansion and destruction of land and native ecosystems.  But even before them, our Puritan forefathers believed strongly that material wealth was the result of Godıs favor.  It is this doctrine that has also led us to believe that those with less, or no wealth possess no virtue, and are at fault for being poor.  And this feeling has increased, in my opinion, in the last twenty years, with the ascendancy of Reaganism that blames the poor for being poor.  And since the poor are poor as a result of what we perceive as the results of their own actions, they deserve no help.  After all, it is THEIR fault.

This version of American Christianity is at odds with the rest of the worldıs view on the poor.  While other nations do more or less to help the poor, nowhere I have ever traveled has the condemnatory attitude (with perhaps the exception of India) of the poor than we do.  And this belief, coupled with an inherent racism toward the darker races that pervades American society, works against any kind of ŒMarshall Planı toward the people of the Mideast.

And while we are free to hold whatever values we have, we must understand that those views will have consequences.  In this case, by our unwillingness to address the core poverty in the region, coupled with our unrelenting support of Israel in the face of overwhelming evidence of them persecuting the Palestinian population, we create a fertile ground for terrorism.  The question ³do we deserve this?² is often raised, as if other countries share our values and abide by our culturally driven sense of rationality.  But such questions are really irrelevant.  Whether we deserve it or not does nothing to affect the cause-and-effect relationship of deprivation, dislocation, high infant mortality and persecution and how that will create the next generation of terrorists.

The issue of values, when confronted with the perspectives of a different civilization, is an irrelevant one.  Instead, we need to turn to reason and historical precedent to find guideposts along the path toward a just and peaceful society.  We can start by examining ourselves.  Whatever our ensemble of values are currently, both the good and the bad, they are not serving us well.  And societies that cannot adapt their values to changing circumstances inherently go extinct.  If we wish to survive, we must evolve.  In the end, the society that lasts the longest will, by definition, have had the most successful values.

This does not mean nor imply that all our values are wrong, and we must change everything.  But we must be conscious of our entire societal value set‹not those that we choose to show off or demonstrate in public‹if we are to understand how those interact to build our future.  In so many ways, we are still the Teutonic knights, marching off to the Crusades to fight the people from the East, as we did 900 years (and even 1600 years) ago.  And the dysfunctional mythos of those in the Middle East that oppose us in this current crisis has a very good operative model of our behavior.  People here talk about a Œcrusade against terrorismı without even understanding the full implications of that term.

One value that we do hold highly in this country is the notion of Œwinner-take-allı.  We pride ourselves on competition and being winners‹look, for example at the way we approach even benign events as the Olympics.  Our political system is also built around this concept.

The attack that came on September 11, 2001, came from the losers in the global economic situation.  If intelligence is correct, and Osama Bin Ladenıs network staged the attack, it will have come from one of the poorest countries in the world‹a country that has already lost hope of any prosperity or decency in a temporal existence.

I can remember talking to Morris Dees, the famous civil rights lawyer from the Southern Poverty Law Center in Birmingham, AL.  I asked him when, in a fight for social justice, had he feared violence.  He told me that one only had to worry after one had won.  Violence, he said, was usually produced out of frustration from the losers.  In the fight against segregation in the South, violence did not occur in the initial, or even late phases, in the late Œ50s or early Œ60s.  Violence came in 1968 and later, after the segregationists had clearly lost.  Extending the analogy to the current situation is an indicator of the frustration of that part of the world with us.  The feel that they have lost, and there is no other balm for their worldly misery than our destruction.

In addition, in the competition for supremacy in the global economy, our value system regarding foreign aid has increasingly become less compassionate.  We spend less per GDP than any other developed country. This is an extension of the notion that Americans believe that losers deserve to be losers, and should accept their fate. This was also the attitude of the Aztecs that used to sacrifice the losing team in their version of football to the Sun God by cutting out their hearts.  The Aztec empire, one of the most sophisticated societies in the world at that time, fell to a handful of Spaniards, largely because the Aztecs had persecuted their surrounding cultures.

Empires last only as long as they are reasonably benevolent to their neighbors.  The United States must realize that it sits at the center of a new global trade empire, and must share in the prosperity and justice it enjoys, regardless of our belief in Œwinner take allı.  We have to accept the reality that the losers in global economic competition arenıt just going to sit there and watch their children starve.  The more clever ones are going to figure out how to turn our technology back on ourselves.

Military Force

Over the course of the past week, many throughout the country have been calling for revenge against our attackers.  There are all the pragmatic issues involving launching successful military action in the region.  Our enemies are poorly defined.  At this point, we donıt even know who they are.  Our allies have historically offered support at the start, but had poor follow-up.  Because of the population density in the region, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to have any kind of military action without extensive civilian casualties.  Our apparent primary foe, Afghanistan, has already been bombed back to the Stone Age by the Soviet Union in the Œ80s, and more bombing is unlikely to accomplish anything, save to increase the rising tide of human misery in that place.  Additionally, one can expect that any extensive action targeted at rural areas will only drive terrorist organizing into the cities, making it impossible to root out without the propagation of war crimes.  Israel has already amply demonstrated this in its conflict with the Palestinians.  Palestinian organizing now occurs primarily in refugee camps.

Perhaps some military action is warranted.  If specific terrorist cells can be targeted, with deliberate plans to harm our populace, maybe they should be assassinated or hit early and hard.  Maybe certain surgical operations could be carried out that would help protect the U.S. from further incidents.  A military incursion into Afghanistan might destroy the hold the Taliban has on its government.

But long term, this is a poor strategy.  Covert assassination of the leadership of terrorist organizations may seem like a good idea, but the reality is that one can kill only so many leaders.  And we have shown in the past that we are poor arbiters of whom to kill.  Inevitably, any organization working for political change in a region that does not agree with our version of democratic capitalism falls into our crosshairs.  What happens after an extended ten-year campaign directed against leadership is a juvenilization of any social change movement in that country‹the leaders get younger and younger.  And with juvenilization of any movement comes nihilism, and the destruction that comes along with it.  Anyone wondering what thirty years of civil war will do to the structures of a society need only look at various African nations (the Congo comes to mind) to see what the inevitable outcome will be‹tribal genocide and unrecoverable anarchy.  Young, rash politically oriented minds grow up to older, more leavened political minds‹unless theyıre killed.

As was said earlier, such a process is also prone to abuses of our own power.  Would the Congo be in a state of anarchy now had we allowed Patrice Lumumba to live?  Many problems in the Gulf are immediately traceable back to the Shah, and his father in Iran.  We need to recognize that we have installed and propped up many corrupt regimes in the region, in the interest of stable oil supplies (another long story in the Mideast).  We have been no regional Boy Scout.  And to believe that we have the ability to be the moral arbiter of the region, when we have such a large, vested economic interest in the region‹oil‹is delusional to the extreme.  It is important to remember that the first Bush regime supported Saddam Hussein.

There is also the issue of the national characters of all the various countries that we might become militarily engaged in.  I believe that if we landed tanks in Morocco, and had to drive them past Egypt, the time necessary to conquer these countries would be about the speed limit of the tanks.  Things would slow down in Lebanon for a bit (Palestinian and Druze resistance), Syria would be somewhat difficult (a consolidated military society) then speed up through Iraq before slowing down again in Iran.  Then things would get really difficult.  No one has managed to knock off the Kurds in centuries of trying.  Same with the Afghans.  And if anyone believes that the Pakistanis would be a pushover, they are refusing to recognize the military society that exists in that country.  People hammer together AK-47s with their hands on the streets of Peshawar, and the Pakistanis have, and believe in the use of nuclear weapons.

The reasons for these national characters can be found in history.  From Alexander the Great to the Caliph Umar, there has been a history of conquest in North Africa that has followed a basic protocol.  The first step is that the invader gets to roll their troops through that country.  They leave behind a governing official (the origin of the term ŒEmirı) and then they keep going.  The conquered lowland Arab/Turkic country ostensibly swears allegiance to that empire until that empire collapses‹then the country goes back, with minor revision, to the state that existed before the invader showed up.  Such is the solidity of national image and definition in countries that have preserved national identities for over 6000 years.

But once one gets to the highlands, things change dramatically.  Thereıs a reason that the mountains in the east of Afghanistan are called the ŒHindu Kushı (Hindu Death) mountains.  Any assault on Afghanistan or Kurdistan would have to be genocidal in scope‹and itıs not that others havenıt tried.  The Russians reverted to nerve gas in the ı80s, and even they failed.  Maybe with tactical nuclear weapons, our forces would prevail, temporarily.

But then this opens up another Pandoraıs box‹the idea that nuclear weapons are a useful tool of war.  On National Public Radio this week, one of the reporters paraphrased a Pakistani or Indian military leader (it was unclear from the dialogue), saying that the lesson learned from the Gulf War was simple‹one doesnıt take on the United States without nuclear weapons.  This is a perilous statement, completely redefining the notion of nuclear bombs, from the notion of deterrence‹nuclear arms are never meant to be used ­ to a use strategem that may guarantee victory in battle.  While it may be true that Islamic extremists might try to smuggle a nuclear bomb into the country and detonate it on an American city, use of nuclear weapons by a legitimate world power will only exacerbate this possibility.  If we did it first to them, why wouldnıt they consider doing it to us?

In summation, there are no good military options.  While it might be prudent and necessary to attack individual terrorist networks as they develop, military strategy will inevitably fail, either by missing key elements (in the case of an assassination campaign), depleting future leaders, or failing to establish long-term positive relationships in the region.  Without a comprehensive humanitarian effort, based on infrastructure development and population control, there will be no material dismantling of the fundamental mythos driving Islamic regimes and their conflict with the West.

Water and Israel

Though there are many issues to be dealt with in the region, two issues must rise to the fore in order to establish peace in the region.  These two elements are the availability of water and the status of the occupied territories Israel seized in the Six Day War in 1967.

Israel controls approximately 80% of the water in Palestine, and has 1/2 the population.  Of the Palestinian population, 1.2 million are crowded into the Gaza Strip, which has a population density of over 3600 people/km.2 ( 9200 people/sq. mile)!  Further, 120 km.2 are irrigated agricultural farmland, implying that the population density is actually closer to 15000 people/sq. mile.  The West Bank also has extremely high population density‹close to 2300 people/sq. mile.  Many Palestinians have no reliable water.  Further, there are no obvious developable water supplies in the region.  Add to this the pressure from 160,000+ Israeli Œsettlersı and one can see that one has a crisis of incredible proportion.

Conflict between Israelis and Palestinians are often dressed up as ideological issues.  However, the baseline issues are fundamentally material.  The next major war to be fought in the region will be driven by water.

Americans also need to sanitize their thought process regarding the status of Jerusalem and its right to be held by the Israelis.  This must change.  I believe that Bill Clinton was on the right track with regards to establishing an international protectorate around the city.  This situation guarantees that no one is completely happy, but considering the incredible value that Christians, Jews and Muslims all put on the city, it may be the only possible solution.

Developing Situations

Sitting here today, Sunday, September 16, what appears to be U.S. policy is to encircle Afghanistan and invade.  Pakistan has issued an ultimatum to Afghanistan to hand over Bin Laden or be invaded by the U.S. and Pakistan.  The Russians are moving troops into Uzbekistan and Tajikistan, and Iran has agreed to seal its border.

It is highly unlikely that Afghanistan or the Taliban could hand over Bin Laden even if they wanted to.  Afghanistan has a history of independent warlords ruling over different parts of the country, and bin Laden falls into that category.  If bin Laden was the one who ordered the suicide attacks, he is casting himself in the historic role of Sabbah, the Old Man of the Mountains, from the 11th Century, founder of the Order of the Hashashin, the origin of our word Œassassinı  (p.s. after having researched the demise of that particular Ismailian order, it might be argued that bin Laden IS the leader of the contemporary Hashashin!).  If he really does have $300 million, he has enough money to finance his own private army, and there is no question that he will use it.  Bin Ladenıs devotees are loyal to the point of self-sacrifice, and have demonstrated this in the past.  The only way that bin Laden will be captured is if he surrenders, and that seems extremely unlikely, as he has already dressed himself in a martyrıs robes.

Current actions by the U.S. government seem to be pointing toward a military solution involving partitioning of Afghanistan.  Though the Afghan people are famous for their resilience and fighting ability, they are in serious material distress after 20 years of war, both civil and with the Russians.  There are over 1.2 million Afghan refugees in Pakistan, and certainly this number must be placing an incredible burden on an already impoverished country. Iran also holds 2 million Afghan refugees, and throwing out the Taliban might also lead to repatriation efforts.  Partition is probably being negotiated among the major players now as far as spoils of war are concerned (who gets what for their invasion effort).  Russia will probably get the natural gas fields in the north, Iran will probably get foreign aid and repatriation, but will not be drawn into the conflict, and Pakistan will probably get the rest of the country, as well as re-patriation of the 1.2 million refugees.  Itıs hard to imagine the Russians or Iranians taking a leading role.  But sealing their borders will prevent the mujahedin from escaping and mounting a counter-insurgency with broader political ramifications.

Any conquest of Afghanistan will be short in duration.  It is hard to imagine any substantive resistance from a depleted Third World country to a modern army on the march from the Khyber Pass.  The problem is in holding ground and post­conquest civilian resistance.  To paraphrase William Tecumseh Sherman, thereıs no question that after a couple months of living in Qandahar, the U.S. Army will be looking to ³living in Hell and renting Afghanistan,² if given the choice.

While partition of Afghanistan may provide relief from terrorism in the short-term (probably with large loss of U.S. troops), it will probably turn the terrorist movement into a urban phenomenon.  It may provide short-term relief against the threat of nuclear terrorist attack by consolidating each of the central governmentıs control of regional nuclear stockpiles.  But it will make new enemies across the Islamic world and focus even more attention on the U.S. and the Western world.  In the end, it will not provide a long-term solution.

Speculative Issues

Sitting here watching this whole plot unfold, questions come to my mind on the role of the drug trade in financing terrorist movements.  Afghanistan is one of the centers of the opium trade, and surely the Taliban are receiving the majority of profits from that trade.  Interdiction of the drug trade has involved increasing military participation around the globe, and as such has driven the technological sophistication of drug traffickers everywhere.  Additionally, the very problems that must be solved in order for a successful drug trade‹penetration of airline security systems, non-obtrusive electronic countermeasures, forging of sophisticated false identification, and moving large quantities of contraband undetected by security forces across national borders‹are exactly the same problems faced by terrorist groups.  There is also historic precedent for guerilla movements financing their campaigns with drug money‹look at the current situation in Colombia, for example, or the Sendero Luminoso movement in Peru.   In many ways, the virus of international terrorism has been mutated in a peacetime mode by responding to the exigencies of survival in the War on Drugs.   Could this recent escalation be yet another supplementary, unintended consequence?

Back to TOC