RE: Moscow teachers

Not all teachers in Idaho have the supposed summer "vacation," either.
Some schools in the Boise area (and possibly elsewhere) operate
year-round, which doesn't leave teachers with a contiguous period of time
to seek alternate employment, little alone fulfill their continuing
certification requirements.

They get a few weeks here, and a few weeks there: hardly time to build a
second career to support their education habit.
http://www.meridianschools.org/welcome/calendars/calendar_yround.htm

Mitch Parks
<mailto:mitch@mochaoflove.org>

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Jerry L. Schutz wrote:

> I'm just guessing here, but I think what Walter meant was that a high-pay
> grade custodian makes as much as a beginning teacher.  I got lost on the
> 138%/year thing.  So I used a salary table to find out that:
>
> Teacher - $20915 per year is 10.03/per hour $402/Week  $1743/month
> Janitor - $27887 per year is 13.37/per hour $536/week $2324/month
>
> these are 12 month year, based on a 40 hour week. I think Walter may have
> been using the 90 day summer vacation to draw a comparison, and say that a
> teacher is making the same as a 12 month custodian. But teachers really
> don't get 3 months off, they have continuing education, lesson plans,
> classes etc.  SO they really do work a 12 month year.
>
> What I see is $10.03 an hour to teach. If class sizes are 25 that's about
> $0.40 per kid per hour.  How many of you would pay your babysitter that
> little?  So for an 8 hour day that's $3.20/day/child.  That's ridiculous!  I
> know of no babysitter that would work for that, and yet we are asking our
> teachers to do just that!  Pay the teachers more, and let's get on with it
> already.
>
> What I would like to know is how much is the district being paid from all
> sources per kid per day.  I'd hazard that it's more that $20.  I'll let you
> know what I find out.
>
> Jerry
>

> > << Is $20,915/year enough to attract good teachers, when beginning
> teachers
> > can get paid better in EVERY state besides North Dakota?
>

> > By comparison, a typical "Team Cleaning"(custodial) position open at the
> > University of Idaho starts between $17,160 and $20,176. >>
> >

> > $20,915 for nine months equals $27,887 for a full year's work or 138% of
> the
> > high custodian position at U of I.
> >
> > Walter Steed

Back to TOC