RE: Moscow teachers

I'm just guessing here, but I think what Walter meant was that a high-pay
grade custodian makes as much as a beginning teacher.  I got lost on the
138%/year thing.  So I used a salary table to find out that:

Teacher - $20915 per year is 10.03/per hour $402/Week  $1743/month
Janitor - $27887 per year is 13.37/per hour $536/week $2324/month

these are 12 month year, based on a 40 hour week. I think Walter may have
been using the 90 day summer vacation to draw a comparison, and say that a
teacher is making the same as a 12 month custodian. But teachers really
don't get 3 months off, they have continuing education, lesson plans,
classes etc.  SO they really do work a 12 month year.

What I see is $10.03 an hour to teach. If class sizes are 25 that's about
$0.40 per kid per hour.  How many of you would pay your babysitter that
little?  So for an 8 hour day that's $3.20/day/child.  That's ridiculous!  I
know of no babysitter that would work for that, and yet we are asking our
teachers to do just that!  Pay the teachers more, and let's get on with it
already.

What I would like to know is how much is the district being paid from all
sources per kid per day.  I'd hazard that it's more that $20.  I'll let you
know what I find out.

Jerry

> << Is $20,915/year enough to attract good teachers, when beginning
teachers
> can get paid better in EVERY state besides North Dakota?

> By comparison, a typical "Team Cleaning"(custodial) position open at the
> University of Idaho starts between $17,160 and $20,176. >>
>

> $20,915 for nine months equals $27,887 for a full year's work or 138% of
the
> high custodian position at U of I.
>
> Walter Steed

Back to TOC