RE: Moscow teachers

*applause*

I have a few points to offer because my mother teaches 1st grade in a
southern Idaho town not much different than Moscow.

1) Teaching wages in southern Idaho are the same as they are here in the
north. Also, from where I grew up, Boise was north. I think you're trying
to spur action against the wrong people, Shahab. ;)

2) Teacher's vacation times are often interrupted by requirements that
they take courses (some college level) that might help improve their
teaching ability. Besides the length of time employed, this is about the
only way that teachers can improve their salaries. (Getting a Masters
degree is another way... but that is, in effect, requiring that the
teacher take more classes.) Somehow, my mother still manages to spend 6
to 8 weeks a year with her overseas grandkids.

3) I've known many UofI students that have taken advantage of the College
of Education only to move away from Idaho after graduating. When comparing
salaries of Washington and Idaho teachers, guess which they choose? My
Mother has a Bachelors in Education plus over 12 years experience in the
classroom, and yet she is paid less than I am.

In my eyes, Idaho doesn't support it's educational programs much at all.
This is not fair at all to those educators around us that improve our
childrens' future.

All the best,
 Mike Harshbarger

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Mitch Parks wrote:

> While I am often a lurker and seldom a poster to this list, I have to say
> that while I often disagree with Shahab, in this case he echoes my
> sentiments regarding teachers (with the possible exception of his
> North/South digression).
>
> I don't know the specifics of the issues involved in this particular
> discussion regarding the Moscow School District, but I believe we need to
> support our teachers at every opportunity both personally and financially.
>
> I have several friends who are teachers in Idaho and they have always
> complained (both before and after graduation) about the poor teaching
> wages in Idaho. I have always acknowledged their comments with my support,
> or at least with a quip about our low cost of living and high quality of
> life.
>
> Even though I don't yet have any children in school, seeing a few
> of the facts this evening regarding teacher salaries in general, and Idaho
> teacher salaries specifically, I have to say I'm a bit alarmed.
>
> This study from the American Federation of Teachers outlines some of the
> salary trends:
> http://www.aft.org/press/2001/051601.html
>
> In particular, Idaho's ranking of *50* out of 50 states plus the District
> of Columbia for "Actual Average Beginning BA Teacher Salaries" tells me
> that Idaho gets an "F" for Failing to support education.
> http://www.aft.org/press/2001/download/111-1.pdf
>
> Is $20,915/year enough to attract good teachers, when beginning teachers
> can get paid better in EVERY state besides North Dakota?
>
> Do I really want to raise kids here?
>
> By comparison, a typical "Team Cleaning"(custodial) position open at the
> University of Idaho starts between $17,160 and $20,176.
> http://www.uidaho.edu/hrs/employment/Team%20Cleaning.pdf
> (Which of course requires no college degree.)
>
> Ok, so teachers get more time off than our cleaning personnel, which
> basically just means they have to seek second jobs to fill that "vacation"
> time and pay off their student loans.
>
> I have never been one to desire any sort of involvement in politics, but
> in this case, where do I sign up, or who do I write a letter to? What can
> we do to actually affect positive change for teachers (and thus students)
> in the state of Idaho?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Mitch Parks
> <mailto:mitch@mochaoflove.org>