RE: Moscow teachers

While I am often a lurker and seldom a poster to this list, I have to say
that while I often disagree with Shahab, in this case he echoes my
sentiments regarding teachers (with the possible exception of his
North/South digression).

I don't know the specifics of the issues involved in this particular
discussion regarding the Moscow School District, but I believe we need to
support our teachers at every opportunity both personally and financially.

I have several friends who are teachers in Idaho and they have always
complained (both before and after graduation) about the poor teaching
wages in Idaho. I have always acknowledged their comments with my support,
or at least with a quip about our low cost of living and high quality of
life.

Even though I don't yet have any children in school, seeing a few
of the facts this evening regarding teacher salaries in general, and Idaho
teacher salaries specifically, I have to say I'm a bit alarmed.

This study from the American Federation of Teachers outlines some of the
salary trends:
http://www.aft.org/press/2001/051601.html

In particular, Idaho's ranking of *50* out of 50 states plus the District
of Columbia for "Actual Average Beginning BA Teacher Salaries" tells me
that Idaho gets an "F" for Failing to support education.
http://www.aft.org/press/2001/download/111-1.pdf

Is $20,915/year enough to attract good teachers, when beginning teachers
can get paid better in EVERY state besides North Dakota?

Do I really want to raise kids here?

By comparison, a typical "Team Cleaning"(custodial) position open at the
University of Idaho starts between $17,160 and $20,176.
http://www.uidaho.edu/hrs/employment/Team%20Cleaning.pdf
(Which of course requires no college degree.)

Ok, so teachers get more time off than our cleaning personnel, which
basically just means they have to seek second jobs to fill that "vacation"
time and pay off their student loans.

I have never been one to desire any sort of involvement in politics, but
in this case, where do I sign up, or who do I write a letter to? What can
we do to actually affect positive change for teachers (and thus students)
in the state of Idaho?

Sincerely,

Mitch Parks
<mailto:mitch@mochaoflove.org>