Re: Hazardous Waste Disposal in Latah County vs. Whitman County????

Carol, in a recent visit with the Latah County Solid Waste Cordinator we
discussed having a suitable small facility at the transfer station for the
proper disposal of household hazardous waste. This issue will be discussed
at the reginoal solid waste meeting this month in Lewiston.
	When we planned the Moscow Rycling Center the committe wanted to
incorporate a facility to collect household hazardous waste but the cost
and regulations for the facility were prohibitive. As I recall there was
also not enough land at the current location lot to incorporate a storage
area for hazardous waste.
	If anyone wants further information on this subject they can call
Don Bafus at the county solid waste dept.

Have a Great Day,

Shirley C. Greene
gree6351@uidaho.edu

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Carol M. Stiff wrote:

> I'm in the process of moving and have gathered up all that stuff that
> tends to accumulate over the years (paint, pesticides, oil, etc.).
> In checking out proper disposal of this material, I found that Latah
> County only takes this kind of stuff once a year!!
>
> I knew about the yearly thing at Tidyman's but had assumed that this
> was a convenience and not the only time.
>
> If I lived in Washington, the Whitman County Waste Disposal would
> take it (on a daily basis).
>
> How come Whitman County has these daily facilities while we only have
> it once a year?  Does that not tend to encourage people to improperly
> disposed of hazards and pollute our environment?  Seems to me if
> Washington can handle this properly, so can Idaho.
>
> Carol M. Stiff

Back to TOC