Re: All Taxpayers - Raise your Hands!

I'd like to question the (your's? npr's?) assumption that the way to
determine the popularity or worth of a show should be based on how much
money that show recieves in donations. That assumption privledges people
who have more money to spend, basically allowing a wealthier "upper"-class
to determine the content of a supposedly public radio station.

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Keith and Margaret Howe wrote:

> I'm saying that someone can whine all they want about programming changes;
> in order to be effective in changing them, join the ranks of people who are
> paying extra in direct contributions to get the programming THEY want on
> NPR. Every fund raiser NPR does is explicit: donate while you are listening
> to the programs you want kept on the air. Apparently, someone who was
> actually willing to contribute did so while listening to programs they
> wanted kept on the air; and it was obviously not the shows that have been
> dropped. Vote with your dollar, as the saying goes.

Robert Anton-Erik
anton933@uidaho.edu
http://www.ets.uidaho.edu/rob/

"The medium is not the message,