Re: High Crimes Are Misdemeanors/Information

At 09:44 PM 7/28/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Not to be repeating what others have said but, these type of crimes have
>been found to lead to human serial killing. If you let a person go free for
>"just" killing a bunch of  animals then you are telling them that they can
>get away with murdering humans too. For we are all just animals too.
>Elsa

This logical analysis has zipped right by my feeble mind.  First, I did not
say let them go free.

If serial killers have a higher incidence of childhood animal abuse
history, this does not mean that abusing animals will lead to human serial
killing.  Theres a post hoc for sure.  (Or would it be affirming the
consequent: If you are a serial killer then you abused animals.  You abused
animals, therefore you are a serial killer.)  I will step out on a limb
here--as a child I used to cook bugs with a magnifying glass in the sun!
(Come on guys--who here hasn't?)  And, as much as I have thought that some
people truly deserved it, I have yet to murder someone.

And how is it that if I don't punish someone to an extreme degree for
"just" killing an animal (actually it should be stated 'for killing "just"
an animal-- not like it changes the meaning of the sentence or anything)
then I am telling them it is ok to kill humans.  My whole point is that
humans and animals are *not* equal.  Usually, I hold humans to be more
valued than animals.  And yes, we are animals.  (Perhaps not "just"
animals, though.)  If you truly believe that animals and humans are equal,
then one of 2 things must be:  It is evil to kill any animal and I should
have gotten life or the death sentence for my confessions of killing and
eating other animals -- OR -- The laws about killing humans are *MUCH* too
strict.  Maybe a minor felony with a civil action for loss of earnings and
companionship by the surviving family.

Marc
self-avowed meat mercenary

Back to TOC