Channel 11 Advertisement

I've had a chance to talk with the Century Communication people, who gave me
the following information:

Channel 11 is what's called in broadcast parlance an "access channel."  As
such, the cable company cannot exercise any editorial control over content
whatsoever, as stipulated by the FCC.  They are required under the First
Amendment to the Constitution to provide equal access to all points of view,
as long as they are not obscene (as defined by the Supreme Court) and do not
incite unlawful actions.  Consequently, they are obligated by federal law to
accept any public announcement which is offered to them.  The announcements
run for 14 days, and the cost is $5 for community members and $2 for
non-profit organizations.  (I found this information very useful in
itself--it's a very cheap way to provide extra publicity for an event, after
all!)

So one obvious course of action is to make use of the announcement service.
Watch for a a gay-positive message with community resource info on Channel
11 very soon!

Another possible action for those who feel moved to do so is to write
letters to the editors of the local papers expressing support for diversity
in the Moscow-Pullman area.

The Daily News: attn. the Editor
409 S. Jackson, Moscow, ID 83843

The Lewiston Morning Tribune:
online:  http://www.lmtribune.com/letter.htm
regular mail:  Lewiston Morning Tribune, P.O. Box 957, Lewiston, ID 83501

And I suppose that anyone who wishes to contact Mr. Stenerson at Box 8661,
Moscow, ID 83843, is welcome to do so, since he included his address in the
advertisement.

Best,

Melynda Huskey
melyndah@mail.wsu.edu