High Crimes Are Misdemeanors/Information

One of the most disturbing things about the very
disturbing subject of the Moscow cat mutilations
relates to what I recall reading in a D. News article.

I believe it read that even if these nasty
perpetrators are apprehended they only face
misdemeanor charges.

Is that based on State Code?

Whatever it's based on I believe it would be in all of
our interests to see the law changed so the charges
fit the crime. I would think that methodically
mutilating helpless animals is a sign that someone has
serious violent tendencies.  (In fact some notorious
serial killers had a history of participating in this
kind of animal mutilation before they turned to human
victims.)

This crime should be a felony.

In addition, I concur with Mike Curley that more
information about these crimes would be helpful.  I
assume that if we sought out the facts we would at
least have access to the dates and locations where
evidence was discovered.  This might help us all as we
look out for unusual activity in our neighborhoods.

Greg Meyer