Fwd: Re: Speed limits

Subject:     Re: Speed limits
Sent:        7/26/19 9:33 AM
From:        Gary Richardson, rencom@micron.net
To:          Smartgro, smartgro@onenw.org
[Forward comment:  I thought our list would appreciate this "analysis" of
the Boise area traffic problems.  As the Moscow-Pullman area begins to
feel the increases in auto and bike traffic, we ought now to consider
alternatives to the present patterns and speeds of handling vehicular
uses of our available spaces. Maybe someone could pass this along to
appropriate  city and county officials in our area. Thanks. W. Ken
Medliln.]

=====  A message from the 'smartgro' discussion list  =====

30-35 MPH is the most efficient maximum speed for urban traffic flow. It
yields the best roadway capacity because at speeds above that, to avoid
colliding, cars have to be spaced further apart, thus taking up more
roadway. Also, at higher speeds, car engines operate less efficiently,
producing more particulates and less complete fuel combustion. It's also
safer for all concerned, drivers and pedestrians alike; most people
survive
crashes at those speeds, especially if they're wearing seatbelts.

Traffic-light timing in Ada County is much better than it was 10 years ago
and will be even better when the ACHD central control center is completed.
But from what I'm reading on the TLCNet, this area could benefit from some
modern roundabouts replacing lights at many intersections; they cause
traffic to slow to 10-15 MPH but do not stop the flow altogether, thus
reducing driver frustration and carbon monoxide emissions.

Red-light running has become a serious problem throughout the country.
"Robo-cop"or photo enforcement has been a very successful deterrent in
other
cities.

Time-strained over-achievers ought to slow down and enjoy the area while
there's still something left to enjoy.

The state and Micron are the largest employers in the valley; the are
(mostly) downtown and in southeast Boise.