Moscow-Troy trail needs your help

Vision2020,

A proposal to the Idaho Transportation Department to provide initial
funding for a bicycle/pedestrian trail between Moscow and Troy was recently
*not* recommended for funding by the Idaho Transportation Board.  ITD
officials have cited the upcoming Lewis and Clark centennial celebration
(and not the merits of this particular project) as the reason why funding
for such projects in our region was limited to the Clearwater River.

The $500,000 request by Latah County Commissioners would have paid for the
acquisition of the abandoned rail bed and the initial improvements for a
non-motorized trail between Moscow and Troy.  The intention is to construct
a trail that would serve as an extention to the Bill Chipman Palouse Trail,
and would provide much needed space for bicycle and pedestrian
transportation along a state highway that has no shoulder.

A public comment period on this decision runs from July 6 - August 4.
Significant public comment can impact the decision made by the state, so
your input is crucial.  If you want this path to be reconsidered this year
or in some future year, please send in your comments by August 4.  Your
comment will help to show how important this project is to the people of
this region.

You may mail, fax or email your comments to:
Blake Rindlisbacher, Project Development Engineer
Idaho Transportation Department, District 2
P.O. Box 837
Lewiston, Idaho 83501-0837

208-799-4222
208-799-4301 (fax)
brindlis@itd.state.id.us

Please include your name, address, city, state & zip.  Also reference the
project "Key number" (E224).

Here is a sample letter.  You may use some of these points to formulate
your letter:

I am writing to support the proposal submitted by Latah County under the FY
2002 Transportation Enhancement Program (Key# E224).  This project involves
development of a portion of the Moscow-Arrow rail line where it parallels
Highway 8 between Moscow and Troy.  The project was recently not
recommneded for funding in your Surface Transportation Improvement Program,
and I would like to see it reconsidered for funding.  I see this project as
beneficial for a number of reasons:

ˆ  It will serve as a significant transportation corridor for bicycle and
pedestrian users.  As Moscow continues its growth towards the east, Highway
8 is seeing an increase in non-motorized transportation between Troy and
Moscow.  This enhancement project will help to serve commuters, students
and shoppers who choose to walk or ride a bike.  Providing a direct
connection between rural residential areas and urban destination points
will also help to alleviate automobile traffic on this state highway by
providing a non-automobile alternative.

ˆ  The path will improve bicycle and pedestrian safety along Highway 8.
The absence of bike lanes and sidewalks on Highway 8, does not translate to
the absence of bicycle and pedestrian users.  This project will improve
roadway safety.

ˆ  This project is one link of several necessary links to connect the east
side of Moscow with the newly finished Bill Chipman Palouse Trail between
Moscow and Pullman, Washington.  That trail was completed with enhancement
money from the State of Washington with a better than 50% match from area
residents and businesses on both sides of the border.

ˆ  There is a direct connection between this transportation corridor and
the developing linear park in Moscow.  This project will directly benefit
core values within our community calling for stream protection and riparian
enhancement.  We see this project as beneficial to the environment.

ˆ  It preserves the railroad corridor for potential future use.  This
project allows for the protection of this land as a transportation corridor
for unforeseen future transportation needs.

I am excited by this project and look forward to its funding.  Please
contact me about your future decisions on this project.

Sincerely,

Thanks for your help,

Tom

Thomas C. Lamar, Executive Director

Palouse-Clearwater Environmental Institute
P O Box 8596; 112 West 4th St; Suite #1
Moscow ID 83843-1096
Phone (208)882-1444; Fax (208)882-8029
url:  http://www.moscow.com/pcei

Please note our individual staff email addresses below:

Thomas C. Lamar, Executive Director: lamar@pcei.org
Kimi Lucas, Office Manager lester@pcei.org
Laurie Gardes, Financial Manager:  gardes@pcei.org
Anita Grover, Watersheds: grover@pcei.org
Peggy Adams, Watersheds/Food Systems: adams@pcei.org
Ashley Martens, Environmental Education: martens@pcei.org
Jon Barrett, Idaho Smart Growth:  smartgro@micron.net
Elaine Clegg, Idaho Smart Growth:  eclegg@micron.net

Celebrating thirteen years of connecting people, place and community.