Re: Moscow-Troy trail needs your help

Date forwarded: 	Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:41:42 -0700 (PDT)
Date sent:      	Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:41:02 -0700
To:             	vision2020@moscow.com
From:           	Tom Lamar <lamar@pcei.org>
Subject:        	Moscow-Troy trail needs your help
Forwarded by:   	vision2020@moscow.com

> Vision2020,
>
> A proposal to the Idaho Transportation Department to provide initial
> funding for a bicycle/pedestrian trail between Moscow and Troy was
> recently *not* recommended for funding by the Idaho Transportation Board.
> ITD officials have cited the upcoming Lewis and Clark centennial
> celebration (and not the merits of this particular project) as the reason
> why funding for such projects in our region was limited to the Clearwater
> River.
>
> The $500,000 request by Latah County Commissioners would have paid for the
> acquisition of the abandoned rail bed and the initial improvements for a
> non-motorized trail between Moscow and Troy.  The intention is to
> construct a trail that would serve as an extention to the Bill Chipman
> Palouse Trail, and would provide much needed space for bicycle and
> pedestrian transportation along a state highway that has no shoulder.

it's going to need more than $500,00, we live on South Mountian
View, check out the corner of Troy Hightway and Mountain View, it's
a blind corner onto the trail, going North on Mountain View it is a
blind Corner to see either side of the trail, , turning East off Troy
Highway onto Mountain View is a blind corner on both sides of the
trail, (esp when you have to take that corner at 35 because the
driver behind you is speeding up for the 45 mile an hour zone just
past it and ignoreing your turn signal)

there going to have to buy land on both sides of the rail right of way and level
a large chunk of farm area or make an underpass or over pass of some sort
to make it safe for kids on bikes or walking.

it would be nice to see this go through, but thats a bad corner at the
best of times.

Stan Evans

Back to TOC